1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Norman girls won that game, btw.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Say hello to litigation.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And they won state. Thread leads to Oklahoman's gamer.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Depends. If the reporters can prove their efforts to verify the information were what any other reasonable reporter would have done and it was the error of their sources, they’re off the hook in court.

If they called the school’s AD who hired the guys and he said it was the wrong guy. They called a coach and asked hey does it sound right it was the guy the AD said it was and coach was like yeah that sounds right. Probably not in trouble. Now if they just called their buddy Jim Bob at the game and Jim Bob said it was the wrong guy and they didn’t verify the ID, yeah they’re in trouble.

I’m trying to remember which court cases it was but there were a pair of libel cases dealing with wrong IDs in some event. There was a newspaper who reported on the events of some protest where it turned violent (IIRC) and they identified the wrong people being involved. A magazine did the same thing and both were sued. The newspaper was absolved of wrong doing but not the magazine.

Why? Glad you asked.

The court held the newspaper, who published the next day (or within a couple of days) didn’t have enough time for the misidentification to be caught. Basically the fog of war hadn’t cleared. They did their best to verify the information but there wasn’t enough time for all the information to be found. They later corrected the information.

On the other hand, the magazine (I think these were separate incidents) had time to find the error because they had something like a week or more and it was reasonable for them to call to double check.

We’ll see. You can litigate anything and what is reasonable time to verify facts is changing.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Being T2 can make things difficult at times. Let me reframe that: I know what T2 can do when it comes to tempering my response to emotionally charged situations. Y'all have seen me at my worst on here. And to quote Saint Heather of B from the first Real World. "If you brought it, they're gonna tape it. It's you out there, baby. You can't unsay it."

I don't buy his excuses any more than I bought Pawler Deen's brain damaged fans declaring it was a "diffrunt tahme." As someone said upthread, racism is racism.

Dahbeetus mah less-fat southern-frahed butt...

wicked likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Worth noting in all of this: the guy who said it denied it at first. I wouldn't discount the possibility that he was the source, trying to save his own ass.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don’t give a shit what happened or what the legal ramifications might be. You can not get that wrong with an unnamed source and stay employed.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don’t know. I don’t mean to be Mr. Hardass Journalist in such a shitty time for the industry but that’s a monumental fuckup even if they don’t get sued. As a society we’ve made that an unsayable word for non-black people, and the ramifications for saying it are career-ending, even in Oklahoma. You fuck with the lives of real people when you get it wrong.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well, just because he has a defense from being sued doesn’t mean the reporter didn’t fuck up. That’s a convo with an editor/publisher that does not sound like it would be a good time.

Patchen likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I remember when being right was more important than being first.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Patchen, PaperDoll, HanSenSE and 4 others like this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Going to go there...

What happened to Sarah Everard was tragic. It really was. It absolutely boggles that it's news to some people that women aren't as safe as they could be. What galls is women and children of color disappear and very little is said and done, but when a nice white lady goes missing and the worst takes place, people act like this has never happened before.

Inky_Wretch, garrow and HC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted