1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree that America’s failure to be civilized, decent and moral to end slavery and it’s systemic racism fir the last 150 years. And the result now what I said. Hyper colorvision and the discounting of all accomplishments as being privileged and indebted to racism.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Another one!

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In a shocking turn of events, a bunch of white guys have managed to make the running racism thread all about themselves.

(Yeah I’m guilty too.)

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, four or five of you decided to gang up on me for no good reason.

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

dude, get a life.

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Halleluia! Pass the Tylenol!

@qtlaw, I'm sorry your posts got lost in the sandbox.

qtlaw and FileNotFound like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve never understood the anti-Semitism in the black community. If there’s white folk who’ve been discriminated anywhere near blacks, it’s Jews.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, everyone is looking for someone to scapegoat for their problems.

If you look at the civil rights marches from the 1960s, very often the white people you saw marching with African-Americans were liberal jews. They were two simpatico groups, sympathetic to one another.

But in the 1980s, 1990s when racial tensions picked up, the seeds for what you are talking about took hold.

One incident really sticks out in my mind. It was when Al Sharpton was at the height of his charlatan / exploit-race act, and he keyed in on this Jewish guy who had a store in Harlem called Freddy's Fashion Mart. The whole thing was messed up. The building wsa owned by a black church, Freddie had his store and he was subletting part of it to a black-owned record store. The church told him he had to evict the record store because the sublet violated his lease. And Sharpton sprung into action and incited a riot over the Jewish interloper who was evicting a black man. Unfortunately, that was a narrative that took hold during those years. There was a lot of "Why do Jews (also Koreans) own the stores in our neighborhood?" And the hateful attitudes sort of ratcheted up over the years from those seeds.

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

X-Hack and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even the Episcopalians have gone feral.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted