1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You might be surprised. one act of kindness can cause a ripple effect.

There are parts of Nashville and environs where you can get pulled over for driving while poor. I'd get calls about this in a former (work) life and was part of a study where Metro's finest lived down to the Ph.D. candidate's expectations. Having said that, I agree with your post overall.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yeah I’d hate to cruise through Belle Meade in some of the beaters I’ve driven over the years. OTOH, a couple of years ago when I was reduced to doing Uber Eats in a rapidly disintegrating Cavalier, I often crossed through Mountain Brook (the Birmingham version of super-rich suburbia) and never caught a second glance from the cops.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Either you don't understand the phrase or you've been listening to people who don't understand it.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s a pejorative and an accusation.
    It’s like the phrase DeFund the Police. It was coined as a literal demand. It morphed into something else because Biden and many Democrats can’t run on the literal. Privilege may have started out as a descriptive a definition. Now it’s used colloquially as an accusation

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This …

[​IMG]

… could explain this:

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Jay Baker, kiss mah tuchis, you manroot with ears.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The shitty marketing actually detracts from that point. I recently listened to someone who was working from home sit through a mandatory Zoom sensitivity training thing for work that strayed farther and farther way from the point you are making. The person leading it went to each of the people who had identified themselves as white and put them on the spot. They were expected to give an example about how they have been "privileged" relative to a racial minority and how it has benefited them. It was uncomfortable listening to people put on the spot that way feeling pressured to flog themselves -- which is what most of them did to avoid making waves.

That is the reality of what the shitty marketing creates -- the practical effect of it. It not only doesn't do a thing to address the unfairness of anyone who has been mistreated because of their race (where the focus should be), it is creating these perverse environments in which you can't acknowledge legitimate discrimination without a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) stigmatization of someone else (which does nothing productive).

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The rhetoric (not necessarily what is being felt) that has escalated into "white privilege" is primarily because America has failed to fulfill the promise of the Civil Rights movement to be a "colorblind" society. Demands (and laws) have been asking for colorblind treatment and those promises and demands have been unfulfilled. What would you suggest minorities do, accept the status quo? Keep asking for the same thing? Or maybe raise the stakes to motivate people to finally fulfill those past promises?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know, its easy to say everything is BS, criticize all you want but what's the solution or the idea to solve the problem?

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know this isn’t exactly what you mean... but I really don’t give a shit about how social justice progress is “marketed.”

How about we try to not be assholes, and if someone says we are apologize?

X-Hack, JC and Mngwa like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In fairness to him, he was repeating the term I originally used.

Draft saved Draft deleted