1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

" Lastly, the bill ensures that this change would only apply to the wealthiest of families, and protects small family farms and businesses, in part by exempting up to $1 million in unrealized capital gains from taxation under the bill."

Nope. Under that bill, middle class dad would still owe $0.

(Reference is from the link to the proposed bill in your link)

Booker, Van Hollen, and Colleagues Announce New Legislation to Close the Stepped-Up Basis Tax Loophole - Insider NJ

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Isn’t your klan the one that whines about people receiving guvmint assistance for doing nothing? For getting stuff they haven’t earned? Isn’t it your klan the one that loves to lecture people on the value of work — as if the audience has never received a paycheck?

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There’s no way it would pass without an exemption.

And the exemptions are important for people like farmers. But also remember the Clinton Administration offered farmers a chance at permanent exemptions and they stiffed him to ride it out with the GOP.

4. Justin_Rice

Look - it's important to keep people who will never have a multi-million dollar estate anxious about how their non-existent multi-million dollar estate will be taxed, otherwise the job creators may be hurt.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The best part of Ivan’s selfishness is his professed love of communism; you know, the collective good.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Give it away if you don’t deserve it. Give it away how you want. Think it through. Just don’t be predictable. Why didn’t they give away their money. Tell your mom you dont want her blood money, you don’t know what she did to get it, apparently. she should leave her entire estate to the government, not just 40%

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I sometimes will be at will and trust signings for my wife’s practice when her assistant isn’t available, and let me tell you...to a person every time a person has a sizable estate they are passing down they call at least one of their children fucking idiots in varying vocabulary.

Even rich people know it’s a bad idea to give spoiled children a bunch of money they didn’t work for.

If we want an actual meritocracy, like the right claims, let everybody earn their keep. A 20 percent tax on anything over a million on money you didn’t earn — if it’s not tied into a farm or small business— is not a travesty.

I’ve encouraged my parents to spend every nickel they have before they’re gone.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’s expressed any particular love of communism per say. He mostly just gets off on the authoritarianism.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He does what his mail-order wife tells him. I’m pretty sure he’s said she’s a communist.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Is Guilfoyle supposed to be hot? I'd like a solid indicator from TrumpWorld on this before they shuffle off the stage for good.

11. Justin_Rice

Estates make me angry.

Take it from someone with experience: If your parents are re-married, make SURE your biological parents have done estate planning. Because if your step parent out-lives your biological parent, I promise the laws do not favor you.

2muchcoffeeman and Hermes like this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My mom last weekend casually told me they’ve banked every check she’s made since 1999 and put most of it in the stock market.

My parents split McChicken sandwiches when they go to McDonald’s and order waters.

I need to start yelling at them to spend their money while they’re alive or I’m going to have to install gold toilets when it comes time to spend them down.

Which would be ironic given my mom has been a janitor for the last 10 years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted