1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So many lives ruined.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Many universities do exactly that. I was offered a full scholarship to attend Boston University to study chemistry. The scholarship was offered by the university itself based on an AP Chem "camp" that I attended there. I chose not to accept because math. There are plenty of STEM scholarships available to students who choose to pursue those paths. Much like there are many scholarships available to "students" who decide to pursue athletics.

We're already seeing the elimination of the arts at the lower education levels. Companies don't make money on poetry or painting or sculpture, so those are seen as worthless educational pursuits. But walk into any financial building in New York and you will see art hanging, sculptures set among the architecture and/or poetic verses printed on the walls.

Our culture would be worse off for not encouraging students to pursue whatever degree they desire. If you think there's no ROI for the arts, you haven't paid attention to world history.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

And one unfortunate effect of the rising cost of an education is that college is now viewed primarily as job training. Education has a deeper value beyond the line it fills on your resume.

Sea Bass, wicked, swingline and 12 others like this.
  6. bigpern23

Well said.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Roughly a decade ago, there was talk among people in the performing arts in the U.K. about how training was being priced out of reach for everyone except the very wealthy. Arts training in the U.S. has been at this point for a long time. Starting a BFA program in the plastic arts is prohibitively expensive. Aside from tuition, room, and board, my list of supplies was huge. It cost one and a half times the aforementioned expenses and many of those items had to be replaced, sometimes multiple times a semester.

Artists my age may complain about the ubiquity of Corel Painter, but when art students have to choose between eating and the tubes of paint some teachers throw tantrums over, I feel some sympathy for the digikids.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Songbird likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Mr. Holland's Opus" was more correct than it realized when it was released 25 years ago.

I'd love to go back to school to turn my music history minor into music education so I can run a marching and concert band at a high school. But schools hardly care anymore, and it's reflected in some of the "performances" I saw at football games for years. Some weren't really good, and sadly a handful were truly cringeworthy.

Coincidence? Um, no.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You know what? You guys are right. I was out of bounds. It was shitty when it happened to my wife and it was shitty when I did it.

I’m sorry, @BTExpress. It won’t happen again.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That situation is not at all what I'm talking about. If someone is offered a scholarship to study a particular field, then I would assume they have the interest to do so. This is a broad scholarship program that uses lottery dollars as funding. The state administers it to the top high school students in FL who have to meet a number of standards to qualify. There are no string attached beyond that. Now, well into the program, they want to start telling these kids what to study. There is a fundamental problem when the state thinks it can tell people what they can and can't study.

11. bigpern23

I’m in agreement. Yab was saying the scholarships should go toward STEM majors and I was disagreeing with him.

Neutral Corner and Mngwa like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Jewish space laser-focused?

matt_garth, Webster, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted