1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Thank goodness trump is out of there for this phase of the pandemic. I imagine a nightmare situation if he was still " in charge" of anything vaccine related.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. lakefront

That is a very good thing. It encourages others. (I hope)

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. lakefront

If all teachers are vaccinated...open it up. Still masks at first and see how things are going after a couple weeks. My G. kids are in Montessori so luckily they have missed very little time out of the class.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there are many places where all of the teachers are vaccinated yet, but most should at least have the option by now. Even some of the older high school students are eligible now in some states.

Schools should at least be in a hybrid by now, with a goal of bringing everybody back in the fall. I'm guessing masks will still be required in most places at least until the students can be vaccinated as well. The question is if schools will stop allowing families the option of choosing all-virtual instruction for their children. It is already happening at some schools, but most around here don't seem to be in a hurry to force the issue.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Supposedly vaccines for children are expected to be approved by early summer.
    Ninety days to pay dirt.

lakefront and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The state mandated schools here to be back in full by early April. A handful of large districts got waivers and aren't going back until after April break. By then there is seven weeks left to the school year. I don't get it.

Ms. wicked's school went back in full in mid-March. A couple weeks ago the middle school football team thought it'd be cool to hold a sleepover. The host kid subsequently had COVID. At least 50 kids were sent home and told to quarantine. I'm sure they'll have three more sleepovers over the 10 days they're out.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

How many places are kids not still in school? In our district kids have been in person since a delayed start in September, other than a couple weeks around the holidays, when cases were spiking. There have been few problems. Teachers have been spectacular.

Some families opted to keep kids online, where they are taught by district teachers. About 10 percent of those returned to in-person classes to start the second half of the school year. There will still be a virtual option for 2021-22, though the district said it would not likely offer instruction by district staff.

Vaccines were offered to all Ohio teachers two months ago. About 80 percent in our district were vaccinated. The number statewide was slightly lower. Expectations are for a normal school year beginning in early September, with possible masks at the outset.

At the university level, we have been told our fall classes will not be online and that guidelines will be followed, so I expect to have to mask up at least for one more semester.

Both public schools and universities are currently holding vaccine clinic for anyone who wants them. At the local school, that includes anyone 16 and up in the community. At the college level, it's anyone affiliated with the university, be it student, staff or faculty.

I'm somewhat amazed there are people not back in school at this point.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My son goes back in-person tomorrow. First time this year.

It would have been last week but we rented a beach house in OBX for two weeks.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So am I. I understand some schools starting all-virtual in the fall, but everybody should have been in at least at half capacity by now.

A week or two ago, I saw a survey that indicated that a bit more than 20 percent of schools nationwide are still all virtual.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think we should be slowly opening up based on what the communities look like. I’m still nervous about kids spreading it to family but if community spread is otherwise low, it might be fine. Personal preference would be open up the elementary schools fully since they can be contained and wait on the upper grades, but that isn’t a hill I’m going to die on now.

My sister’s district is opening to students who want to return starting tomorrow. Mine is opening on a volunteer basis in a couple of weeks. Teachers can opt out (I am but I have an extenuating circumstance) and classes will be formed based on who volunteers and numbers of students who return. I have a lot of kids who are scared to come back because Covid has ripped through the community hard.

Easing back isn’t horrible now if schools are cautious. And the state is throwing a bunch of money at us to reopen to properly supply schools. Maybe full time for elem and hybrid for secondary until August when even teens get vaccinated then open up fully (again assuming there isn’t a spike in cases).

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My impression is that the EUA to allow 12-15 year-olds to get vaccinated is coming sometime this summer and possible as soon as a few weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted