1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, because nothing says Christian family values like paying for a hooker to have out-of-wedlock sex.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Both these things can be true at the same time:

• We have a right as a country to have control over our borders, know who is coming in and be able to determine limits on who we admit. I dare say it is a responsibility.
    • The stated limits on legal immigration are an utter farce, the equivalent of a Speed Limit 25 sign on an open stretch of Great Plains interstate. Clearly we need many more additional immigrants to not only fill crucial private sector jobs but for the overall continued vitality of an aging nation and to help reverse the hollowing out of small towns and Rust Belt cities.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"but we can’t while maintaining our own social cohesion, which is already fraying badly enough."

It's fraying because the white Christian heterosexual males are now finding out that the whole world doesn't revolve around them.

lakefront, OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

garrow and Smallpotatoes like this.
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Democrats should just do it Republican style and memory hole their previous positions. Remember five years ago, when Democrats were Surrender Monkeys and we were still fighting them there so we don't have to fight them there?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The antifa dilemma

[​IMG]

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I generally agree with both.

First, I'm not sure many progressives agree with the first point very much. When part of the underlying ideology could be - appears to be - that the United States is the definition of hideous amorality, its history and presence not worth a current ounce of salt outside of being a target for its amorality (I freely admit Trump accelerated all this in the worst ways) I think there's some intellectual pleasure taken in borders being overrun, especially if it has no immediate personal impact for someone living 2,100 miles from El Paso, as someone in New York City does. (This is 400 miles and 3 hours farther than the distance between Paris and Moscow.) It's not going to surprise me if, over the next 10-20 years, "should the United States dissolve itself?" is on the table, well, certainly in academia and, from there, a lot of other places, given higher education's influence on both culture and the K-12 education system.

Second, the problem with securing the borders is that the media, and to some degree us, have fallen so prey to the power of story that it's crowding out attempts at reasonable policy. There are heartbreaking stories of people in Central America looking for a better life, enduring all kinds of hardship, and they rightly tug at our hearts. But we can't resist formulating any policy just the name of that.

Third, and you know this, our stated limits are low precisely because of undocumented immigrants. Legal immigration - outside of asylum - is immigration geared at tech/math/science/academia - not entirely, but in many cases - and to legally import millions of immigrants for labor work...is the buzzkill to the screwed-up system companies/farms/small businesses have erected with undocumented immigrants who can be underpaid and denied benefits. The whole reason why "Americans won't do these jobs" isn't so much because they're "hard;" it's because there's a market of undocumented workers who will take far less money to do this hard work, and we've normalized that process to the point where American men find the work beneath the message of "college college college!" they've been sold since we got rid of many technical high schools.

Nevertheless, I'd support higher levels of legal immigration.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Foreigners such as Rupert Murdoch?

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd just like to see the immigration issue addressed. Honestly, Republicans, on this issue, don't have much cachet with me or most people.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The GOP is scared to admit big business wants the cheap labor source because they risk alienating the subset of overt racists they depend on to win elections.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It is the exact same issue as the vaccine pause. “We’re afraid to have an honest conversation with all the facts on the table because it will spook the masses into making irrational, harmful decisions.”

Draft saved Draft deleted