1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Just don't ask him to introduce legislation. He doesn't know how, but to be fair, he's only been in Congress for 14 years

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Globe had a story in which they interviewed public health and infectious disease doctors in what is one of the world's top medical communities on what they personally would do now that they've been vaccinated. The answer was practically nothing. Eat in a restaurant? Hell no. Outdoor dining? Maybe but probably not. Get on an airplane? Heaven forbid. Perhaps they'll have a few fully vaccinated family members and friends over to their homes, preferably outdoors. OK, they're the experts, but if I were in charge of the country's vaccination program I'd want to drop them all down an elevator shaft. Fully vaccinated me read this story and my immediate reaction was "well then, what was the fucking point?" Why did I get the shots if all it offered was a minimal change in my pandemic behavior? The vaccine hesitant, if they read this story, would doubtless have that same reaction to the tenth power. Nobody on the fence about vaccination is going to get the shots if the message is "after that, stay in your storm shelter until we medicos sound the all clear."

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

We have to remain vigilant for a little while longer.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fox & Friends showed the chip and said Maxine Waters was “disrespectful”

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the story. .. But I'd imagine the mindset is that you can't feel completely safe until we reach herd immunity. And we aren't there yet. In order to reach herd immunity either the virus is going to need to run rampant, a decent percentage of people will need to get vaccinated, or some combination of the two has to happen. So the reasons for getting the vaccine are twofold: 1) It offers you a lot of personal protection from severe disease, 2) If enough people -- in the aggregate -- get vaccinated, we might be able to neutralize the threat of the virus. But nobody told you -- or should have told you -- that the reality we are still dealing with magically went away when you got vaccinated.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Nobody did say that, and I wouldn't have believed them if they did. But vaccination did, I hope, alter the odds in my personal risk-reward calculations to a significant degree. I should add in fairness one of the doctors quoted responded in what I thought was an effective way. He ranked activities by how personally comfortable he would be doing them rather than offering blanket statements of "do or don't do."

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

And can these people PLEASE learn how to work these masks? Squeeze the fucking metal thing near the top of your nose. Minor thing but it irritates me to see these people constantly fixing their mask. Especially mtg, she has an extremely irritating way of doing it.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The messaging on this has been horrendous. Again, the point of the vaccine is that if you do get the virus, it'll hit you like a cold hits you. It won't send you to the hospital. It won't kill you. You won't get severely ill.

Me personally, I'm going to a baseball game at some point this summer. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to the movie theater to see the Scott Pilgrim refresh. I'm going to expand the places I've been going in town, because you know what, I'm not scared of catching a cold. And if I do, I do. Such is life. I'm not running scared of this thing forever.

wicked and Gutter like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Sunday is Alice's birthday. She wanted a fancy restaurant dinner as a present, so I made a reservation. The prices at this joint should ensure a good amount of social distancing inside, I'd think. But if not, I'm gonna do it anyway. I'll take the risk.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. The point of the vaccine isn't just getting back to normal activities. The primary reason to be vaccinated is to protect yourself and the people around you. Anybody who doesn't get vaccinated simply because it won't magically return their world to normal that day is an idiot.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of that is just wanting to avoid the public after coming to deeply despise them for their jaw-droppingly reckless decisions over the past year.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

"The highest number of confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths in the Nordic countries as of April 8, 2021, had occurred in Sweden at 13,595. Denmark followed with 2,436 deaths, Finland with 868, and Norway with 684."

Nordics: coronavirus deaths 2021 | Statista

Draft saved Draft deleted