1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They made their choice. They lived (and died) with it. Just like we make choices (for-profit medicine and guns) and live and die with those choices.

Their numbers --- while worse than other Nordic countries --- are still better than many EU nations.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sweden had a higher life expectancy than most of Europe before the pandemic. It was a relatively healthy population. Its proportion of old people relative to its population was lower than most of Europe, and significantly lower than say Italy, which got hammered. And probably very significantly with regard to an infectious disease, It has a much smaller average household size than anywhere else in Europe, including the rest of Scandinavia.

It might, just might, just might have fared as well as it did because of a lot of factors aside from a lockdown or no-lockdown, and nobody can say whether Sweden might have fared better -- more of its citizens alive today -- if it had locked down.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Weren't you the one posting endlessly on this thread last year dissimilar areas shouldn't be compared?

The only fair comparison for Sweden is its neighbors, and it fared far worse than them.

Their choice got more of their citizens killed.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

yes but they got to eat delicious riblets kroppkakor to own the libs

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reckless disregard for reasonable health measures would negate assumption of risk by the customers. It would show negligence to the nth degree.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Made the mistake of reading some CBC articles about the pandemic in Canada. Sounds like border control checkpoints in provinces and Ontario being locked down through mid-May. Nothing gets me pissed off more right now than reading about "third wave" stories.

I think I've brought this up before, but if I were on the other side of the border, to have to do months-long full lockdowns because public health and medical officials can't get their shit together 13 months into this would make me want some politicians (and public health officials) heads on a plate. Don't read too much into this because I've been having a bad mental health day all day, but I'm skeptical of all this lionizing of the "heroes" of this pandemic when this is the best they can do at this point, even in most of the countries that "did it right." It seems to me, whether it's Canada, Japan, continental Europe, the UK or even the US, all of these governments and public health agencies deserve different brands of 'F' grades for their results on mitigating this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

liblets?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dissimilar = The United States (pop 328 million) vs. New Zealand (pop 5 million). Not so much Sweden* (pop 10.3 million) vs. Belgium*** (11.6 million).

***2,032 deaths per million
    *1,358 deaths per million

Why isn't anyone talking about what a colossal clusterfuck of a failure Belgium is?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you go to the gym, get sick, then spread it to me in the office or while I’m getting groceries, I didn’t assume jack shit from the gym. Sue away.

Draft saved Draft deleted