1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

We should all be working toward a place in which states and localities end their mask mandates because their communities are safe enough to be free of the requirement. Yet some people want the fight. They want perpetual grievance. And they’ll do anything to cling to it — even if that means endangering the people they claim to care about protecting. They’ll buy a MAGAzine of guns in the name of protection but won’t wear a cheap cloth mask or get a free vaccine.
    You will not see a large group of people wearing masks post-Trumpandemic as a cultural affinity statement. And if such a group exists, it won’t be violent. It won’t be dangerous.

SFIND likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's a pretty dim view of humanity. I'd think unvaccinated people would continue to desire to protect themselves.

But I suspect that's what a lot of the hard scientists think. They've given Americans little to no chance to develop or discover their own solidarity in the process of the pandemic. And we have division, in part, as a result. (People take responsibility for their own division, to be sure, and Trump contributed greatly, as well.)

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm just asking: Does there ever come a point where it isn't all their fault? Where, instead of 0/100, it's, I dunno, 9/91? Or is it too dangerous to concede an inch?

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You drew some sort of different conclusion over the last year?

Mngwa, Gutter and TowelWaver like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I expect that mask wearing will be noticeable, though hardly universal, at places like airports and public transportation during holidays and much of the winter, just like my elderly Chinese neighbors who have worn them outside in wintertime since long before the pandemic. Otherwise, I doubt many people will wear them past the point where we get like two-thirds or more of the adult population fully vaccinated.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

For the first time probably in my life, I just went through a winter never having gotten the sniffles, let alone an actual cold or the flu.

You don't have to convince me that masks work.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gonna be alotta fucking.

I think it'll be the biggest baby-making year in a long time. Be interested to see the birth numbers in January, February, and March.

UPChip and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know so much more about airflow and ventilation patterns than I ever thought necessary.

I’m not sure I’ll be masking up in public years from now, but I’ll definitely try to avoid tiny, crowded spaces during cold and flu season from here on out.

Masks on trains and planes are definitely in my mid-term plans, though. That’s about four times a year for this country rube, though.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm kinda liberal. I dunno. I would say that, no, my view isn't as dogmatic as yours as it relates to this specific issue.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It is shameful.

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Anyone not masking on a train in flu and cold season is crazy, at this point.

I love not being sick!

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Who can offer advice then, Alma? Who meets your criteria of "decency expert?"

Draft saved Draft deleted