1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The right to bear arms

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I disagree. She didn't tell them where to go. Nor did she tell them to fight like hell. Nor was this about some farce, this was about real people dying unnecessarily.

I'm not in favor of any violence or rioting, and I'm not a fan of what Ms. Waters said, but let's be real, I'm not going to pretend to know what a black person feels. Certainly McCarthy and what-the-f*ck her name is do not either.

Patchen and OscarMadison like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A good soul who deserved better than his '84 drubbing. He had a line in his autobiography I always liked: special interests are anyone opposed to your election.

RIP Fritz.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't understand what Sinema is thinking. (And for what it's worth, she was my rep in the House before going to the Senate. Covered her in the state legislature. I'm very familiar with her.)

Conservatives are never going to embrace her. She won partly because Arizona isn't as red as you think, and partly because a lot of Republicans disliked Martha McSally.

But now liberals in Arizona pretty much hate her guts. Her entire political future seems to hinge on (a) no Democrat having the support to primary her and (b) the Arizona GOP being so controlled by QAnon toads that no one they nominate can win a statewide election. She may be right on both counts, but I'd hate to count on that.

I'm pretty goddamn liberal and I'd vote for Jeff Flake over her in a heartbeat... the whole "balance of power" thing notwithstanding.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don't even mind you being a cretinous shit. McConnell's made a career of it and part of me respects the hustle because he's made it work for him. But everything about her seems to be attention fishing. Dressing like Blossom in the goofy outfits, the wigs, the snarky curtsy while mocking McCain with the thumbs down, now this sangria picture. If you want to be a spectacle, go start an OnlyFans. This ain't the place for it.

lakefront and Driftwood like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Maxine Waters needs to STFU.
    The Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers and their Trumpist klan killed people and aspired to kill even more over something that didn't happen. They had to have their fake grievances. They need to be put away for decades.
    While Waters is talking about opposition to something that is real -- endless open season on people of color perpetrated by racists who are protected by a code of silence and a badge -- she is irresponsible in her rhetoric.

"We're looking for a guilty verdict and we're looking to see if all of the talk that took place and has been taking place after they saw what happened to George Floyd. If nothing does not happen, then we know that we got to not only stay in the street, but we have got to fight for justice," she added.
    Asked what protesters should do if there is no guilty verdict, Waters said protests should continue.
    "We got to stay on the street. And we've got to get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business," she said.

"More confrontational" is a problematic phrase. It will be easily and widely interpreted as a call to violence.

As to the judge, were his remarks also improper? Speculating about the defendant's chances on appeal might be in and of itself a grounds for appeal. The defendant might claim upon conviction that the jury voted to convict to prevent the outbreak of immediate violence and while suspecting two other things: 1) Conviction would ultimately be overturned; 2) They, the jury, wouldn't have to serve in any retrial.

9. PCLoadLetter

It is. She wants to be on late night TV. She wants to be mocked on Twitter. She dressed like an idiot in a wig for Mark Kelly's swearing in so she could try to steal the limelight on his day.

At the same time she ducks the media at an insane level. During the past year I believe she did one phone interview with us. She wouldn't even do zoom, and we're the biggest TV outlet in the state.

At one point we were trying to get an interview with McSally about something and her press guy said "You know, we talk to you guys all the time and then you criticize us. Sinema never agrees to an interview so you ignore her. Why the hell should we talk to you?" And the frustrating thing was, he was absolutely right.

10. PCLoadLetter

Man, enough with all the Maxine Waters stuff. If Chauvin walks Minneapolis is going to burn to the ground and it's going to be well-deserved. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with Maxine Waters.

She's the original AOC for conservatives. There's just something about Maxine they don't like. You don't have to pretend it's legitimate.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's true that her rhetoric won't burn any additional space. It will, however, give Trumpists more video for November 2022.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted