1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe ... but we'll see how the Postal Service is doing in 2030. My bet is they're delivering mail only 3 or 4 days a week by then.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Many newspapers (including the chain I work for) already use them for a vast majority of home delivery. I believe 85% of our home delivery is through mail.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When I worked for a six-day paper (Mon-Sat) in Northern Michigan 20 years ago, it was delivered by mail. Not having to worry about carriers was a plus, but the "timeliness" factor came into play; you didn't have a newspaper to read with breakfast, or even with lunch if your mail came in the afternoon.

Probably not much of a factor anymore for print readers. If your main concern is timeliness, you're not reading print.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Quickly, they understand where their freedoms end.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The number of people not wearing masks where I am is disturbing. With the understanding that one is too many, there were a bunch.

Not sure where these folks really think we are. This thing is far from over, and attitudes like this will only prolong the issue.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of folks here think it's over. We have vaccine surplus.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are vaccinated.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If they paid attention to the rest of the world, maybe they’d worry more.

As hospitals in Delhi and many other cities run out of beds, people have been forced to find ways to get treatment for sick patients at home. Many have turned to the black market, where prices of essential medicines, oxygen cylinders and concentrators have skyrocketed and questionable drugs are now proliferating.

On Monday, India recorded a new global high for daily coronavirus cases for a fifth straight day at 352, 991.

Anshu Priya could not get a hospital bed in Delhi or its suburb of Noida for her father-in-law and as his condition continued to deteriorate. She spent most of Sunday looking for an oxygen cylinder but her search was futile.

So she finally turned to the black market. She paid a hefty amount - 50,000 rupees ($670; £480) - to procure a cylinder that normally costs 6,000 rupees. With her mother-in-law also struggling to breathe, Anshu knew she may not be able to find or afford another cylinder on the black market.

This is a familiar story not just in Delhi but also in Noida, Lucknow, Allahabad, Indore and so many other cities where families are desperately cobbling together makeshift arrangements at home.

But most of India's population cannot afford to do this. There are already several reports of people dying at the doorsteps of hospitals because they couldn't afford to buy essential drugs and oxygen on the black market.​

Covid-19 in India: Patients struggle at home as hospitals choke — BBC News

Draft saved Draft deleted