1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't doubt your numbers. Just wondering how "mask adherence" is being measured.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Found the link.
    Mask adherence and rate of COVID-19 across the United States

For mask adherence levels, we utilized the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) COVID-19 Projections online database [15], which holds data collected by Facebook Global in partnership with the University of Maryland Social Data Science Center [16]. We abstracted daily percentages of the population who say they always wear a mask in public. To calculate monthly COVID-19 case rates, we abstracted the number of new cases reported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) [17] and state population sizes in 2019 [18].

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe all the right-wingers are just nihilists.

Last October, when Britain’s coronavirus case numbers were threatening to spin out of control for a second time, some of Boris Johnson’s most powerful allies in government rounded on the prime minister and told him that another lockdown was urgently needed before things got worse.

The top ministers made their case to the extremely reluctant prime minister and talked him round—but, according to a shocking account published Monday, his begrudging acceptance came accompanied by an unhinged rant about lockdowns that sounds like a King Joffrey line that was edited out of Game of Thrones for being too callous.

The Daily Mail reported that Johnson raged at the meeting that he’d only proceed with a second lockdown on the understanding that there would never be a third. The prime minister is alleged to have screamed, “No more fucking lockdowns—let the bodies pile high in their thousands!”

That account was backed up by a second publication, The Spectator, which reported Monday that “multiple people” heard the hissy fit. The typically cautious BBC News has also corroborated the version of events.​

Boris Johnson Allegedly Screamed ‘Let the Bodies Pile High’ in Foul-Mouthed Anti-Lockdown Rant

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Keir Starmer must be wondering how the hell he could be so lucky.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The Tory government has years before it has to call a new election. Basically, everyone in his own party is tired of dealing with Johnson and can afford to give him the boot.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Q: How long has it been since a British PM was assassinated?

A: Way too long.

(1812; only once ever.)

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This is true (May 2024), but it remains to be seen if the Tories would mutiny on someone that far from port. If this were Australia (home of the "leadership spill,") it probably would have happened already, but I also figure the Tories having lost three prime ministers, none of whom actually lost a general election, would be a similarly bad look.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I never said anyone in his party hates him. In fact, he's revered. I've always maintained that he's the most beloved Conservative leader since Churchill.

[This is the Johnson approach to the truth. And so annoying, I think he has good odds on being a three-peat.]

But I agree with everything you said. There's no chance that Johnson won't be elected two or three more times.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Are we not permitted to discuss the updated CDC guidance? I apologize, my friends.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it can be discussed. Here.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted