1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-28_8-58-48.jpeg

Mngwa, HanSenSE, lakefront and 4 others like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like Ted Cruz has become the "poster boy" for the Ds to raise money. Their answer to the Pelosi/AOC exacta - I'm curious how something like that is decided. I'm guessing there is research done that multiplies how much people know about someone by how much they piss the fundraising target off/motivates them to donate. Shoot - the Ds aren't even fundraising off of Trump anymore?

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don't think too hard on it. Ted Cruz is a giant, steaming turd.

Mngwa, HanSenSE, Fred siegle and 2 others like this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Heck, even Trump liked to beat up on Ted Cruz.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This is the story of Tommy Cotton

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is a perceptive and interesting tweet string.

"You may have noticed that an enormous number of mainstream news sources are now paywalled. You won't be able to read beyond the headline. The struggle of MSM to be profitable is very old, but the timing is disastrous for democracy." --
    @gaslitnation

"We're dealing with a mass disinformation crisis. We're dealing with a mass public health crisis. But the most accurate places for info are now inaccessible or their content is partially screenshotted and taken out of context." --
    @gaslitnation

"This has an effect on interpreting not only the present, but the past. As Orwell said, who controls the past controls the future. The crimes of Trump's cohort which were once all documented in the public domain are no longer there." --
    @gaslitnation

"More journalists have gone independent. But if you are an independent journalist, you now cannot read all the paywalled articles. You're locked out from reading other journalism. It's reminiscent of academia's paywalled insularity." --
    @gaslitnation

"Part of fighting autocracy is not only getting information from the media but understanding how the media manipulates information. The best way to decide who to trust is to examine many outlets over time. This is now impossible because it's unaffordable."

"So what information is still free? FOX News. Right-wing propaganda sites. Facebook memes. Twitter trolls and paid operatives. Social media gossip. Decontextualized pieces of text, stripped of their author or date of publication." --
    @gaslitnation

"Disinformation is free. It's filling in the gaps while nearly every other source of information has been paywalled or put out of business." --
    @gaslitnation

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How do you deal with media paywalls?

I like to read a wide variety of sources, but I’m not willing to pay the cumulative cost of access to everything I might want to read. I pay to read the New York Times, Washington Post and the digital version of the local paper. We donate to NPR, PBS and the Guardian. I’m fully aware that, with the possible exception of the local paper, some would consider our collection to be moderate-left, but I’m not likely to give much financial support to what I consider somewhat biased right- wingers.

One possible work-around might be something sort of like a basic cable package for internet news services that spreads some revenue across the political board. I’m sure there are a variety of reasons why that hasn’t been done.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

his interview with Jay Leno was great because he just let Jay tell old stories about the comedy boom and really sat quiet, like a student listening to a wise old professor.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I can imagine.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful if somebody could create the online equivalent of newsstand sales, where if you wanted to read an article in a daily or a magazine, you could just pay a purchase price for that edition.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

There must be a better all around word for aholes. I like the c word, sounds like a good insult, but it's too female.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted