1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

One alternative is it not being spent at all because it's being hidden in an offshore tax shelter. If history has shown us anything it's that, no, the uber rich usually don't know how to best spend their money.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LARPrizona and actual brownshirts

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If a rich person takes $10 billion in $100 bills and sets it afire (in some totally carbon-neutral manner) are "we" richer or poorer as a result?

4. Regan MacNeil

Worse off, if only because that money now has no way of being recirculated, except as ash, I suppose.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

If it ain't woke, don't fix it

6. doctorquant

Nope ... the total amount of wealth remains unchanged.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you spend your money stupidly or poorly. ... it’s your money. You bear the consequences of your decisions. Which is why in reality people are much better stewards of their own capital than others are.

The “off shore tax shelter” trope... the only logical reason that anyone would avail themselves of that sort of thing is because they want to avoid being compelled to hand over their money to someone else. So your argument is that you have a claim to other peoples money because you are smarter about how to spend it. And if they object that is proof!

8. Regan MacNeil

[​IMG]

9. Regan MacNeil

No, my argument is that I have 5000 years of human history on my side that shows the uber wealthy don't usually know how to best spend their money.

And you call it a trope, which implies that it's overused. I guess the Cayman Islands are famous for their pretty beaches.

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Law and order party!

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

This thread...

12. doctorquant

Money isn't wealth. It's not stuff, it's not labor. It's merely a claim on these. If a bunch of
    money vanishes at noon, there's exactly as
    much of that other stuff around as there was at 11:59 a.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted