1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Soccer

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The last "president" said he "wanted" a lot of shit. The last "president" couldn't pull a C average in our 6th grade classes, least of all Phys Ed, where he'd get an F-minus.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

An interesting read in the NYT about rural and mid/southern America's resistance to getting the COVID-19 vaccinations.

Faith, Freedom, Fear: Rural America’s Covid Vaccine Skeptics

Their reactions seem a bit backward and ridiculous, given the apparent successes of vaccinating elsewhere, and even among the elderly in their own areas, but the very real tendency for everybody to just mind their own business is getting in the way. That's just the culture in these places.

I'm with them, though, in the belief/wish that there should be more openness and availability for people to just get the vaccines from their own doctors, and in doctors' offices. I've thought that all along.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's just like anything else novel. The easier and just as important, familiar you can make it, the more people will engage in it.

5. dixiehack

That’s the one thing that some of the people on here (who frankly can be complete asses on the topic) will never understand about living blue in a deep red world. If you cut out everyone who thinks different than you, then you have very little chance of in-person friendships, and have probably cut yourself off from family to boot. And it isn’t as easy as saying pick up and move when you have a lifetime of complicated ties to a particular place, and have probably been paid salaries commiserate with a lower cost of living in MAGA country that make a move to Chicago or California or NoVa virtually impossible.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's possible that they will move to distributing vaccines to doctors, depending on their ability to store them. Some doctors won't give them. That's why so many people get their other vaccines at drugstores. But I can't imagine the distribution nightmare if, since January, when vaccines started being widely they would have had to distribute them to all the pharmacies and all the doctors in America. I think we can understand why there were central vaccination areas set up to ease delivery.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe a decent halfway measure would be allowing doctors to "designate" or encourage patients to go to a local pharmacy? Like, if Ma Bailey is worried about going to some big site at a stadium, maybe she'll be OK if Dr. Smith tells her CVS is perfectly fine. I kind of cynically assume that most people who haven't gotten the vaccine by now though are in the "political reasons" or "tinfoil hat" camps, though, but like Trump, they'll get the shot if they can do it without anyone finding out.

Mngwa likes this.
  8. dixiehack

Maybe designate a Saturday at the local fairgrounds or armory where a handful of local doctors will be on site to administer shots, but they aren’t all having to pony up for specialized deep freezers for each office.

WriteThinking likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Frankly, all the tight-lipped pastors should be making their churches be vaccination sites, say, at least once. I know there would probably be problems with that, and reasons that couldn't happen (or they could do as dixiehack suggests), but the point is that the issue I saw throughout that article was the culture of nobody speaking up, not even, and especially, those who could actually wield the most power and positive influence -- like the pastors. They should be using the pulpit to encourage compliance, or at least, something other than ignorance and the letting people settle for the fear factor.

The ones who have had the vaccinations should be speaking about their experiences with it, from the pulpit if necessary, and providing whatever information or enlightenment they have gotten from their doctors or pharmacists, and preaching about the importance of this vaccination in the same way they would encourage childhood vaccinations.

The article had a line about how there has been no groundswell by the community, or any peer pressure, to do it. As I see it, that's the greatest issue in these areas. This is not something that people should be minding their own business about -- not in areas where people are, in fact, dying, and others greatly and closely impacted by those deaths are, stupidly, just rolling over and resigning themselves to it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But Dabo forbid we point out the problem.
    Yes, I’m pointing it out. Because it needs to be identified so we can make an effort to stop this thing.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the problem with distributing a vaccine that has to be kept at sixty to eighty below. Nobody has that sort of storage, not unless it has been added. That's a lot easier for CVS and Walgreens than for Dr. Wilson's office down at the corner.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted