1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Stupid is as stupid does. You can't fix it.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This. This a thousand times over. We get it here, not targeted but generalized. Twitter is insanely bad about this one. You'd think that your entire life fits in a shoebox and you can drive with it to somewhere you like better the way those people talk. We won't even talk about often I hear how my home should be allowed to secede or thrown out of the Union.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I got vaccinated at my Episcopal church. One of the members is a pharmacist, and she arranged for a couple of days of vaccine clinic on site at the church. It really isn't that difficult to do this.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We could have Pfizer approved to 12-15 year olds next week and for ages 2 and up by September. Sometime not long after that, a lot of people in cities and suburbs who are fretting about vaccine hesitation in the sticks are going to start shrugging their soldiers and deciding it is natural selection thinning the heard of violent lunatics.

lakefront likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This should have happened earlier, although I don’t know if it would’ve prevented the Indian tragedy (or even ameliorated it).

WASHINGTON—The U.S. said Wednesday it would support the temporary waiver of intellectual property provisions to allow developing nations to produce Covid-19 vaccines created by pharmaceutical companies, citing an urgent need to stem the pandemic.

Overriding objections from the pharmaceutical industry, U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai said the U.S. would support a proposal working its way through the World Trade Organization. Such a policy would waive the IP rights of vaccine makers to potentially enable companies in developing countries and others to manufacture their own versions of Covid-19 vaccines. ​

U.S. Backs Waiver of Intellectual Property Protection for Covid-19 Vaccines — The Wall Street Journal

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That fact needed to be known much more widely, long ago -- and it still does -- because it's legitimate, and, if you know it, it's certainly understandable. But so is people preferring to do something like these vaccinations with their doctors. It's something I've heard many people say, suggest, lament, etc. even where I am in an upper middle-class, pretty liberal, overpopulated area of California. And if people in much less provincial areas than those referenced in the NYT article have wondered about it, it's a good bet that that cloistered population knows and understands nothing of it.

Perhaps urgent-care centers could have been drafted into the mission, similarly to the way the drug stores have been. At least, then, people might feel they're in an actual medical setting.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As an undergrad I fancied myself a future novelist* and therefore took a couple of creative writing classes from my univ's writer-in-residence. He wrote his "big" novel, as he told me, with the aim of depicting the reality that there can be objectively horrible people in your life whom you nevertheless love deeply.

*My expense reports as a sportswriter are the pinnacle of my creative-writing oeuvre.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mine were more in the genre of utopian science fiction.

dixiehack and doctorquant like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was working for a Knight-Ridder paper, the rule was you didn't need a receipt for any meal costing less than $25. Why nobody turned up an eyebrow at 27 straight meals costing between $23.85 and $24.68 was (and remains) beyond me.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

While they may be creative, they almost certainly do not do justice to the extent of the fraud you had to tolerate when claiming '40 hours' in a week of ≥ 60 hours of actual work.

Draft saved Draft deleted