1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

What the hell am I missing?
    It’s common sense, If you can’t get people to work for $7.50 an hour you need to offer more than 7.50 an hour.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Supply and demand is a glorious thing until the poors start getting it in their head that they should earn an actual living.

Businesses have been using the government safety net to subsidize their unsustainably low labor costs. Now that somebody found a way to cut out the middleman and give some of that directly to the rabble the bottom feeder businesses are indignant.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

that's a huge nordic invasion but as long as they're sending their best

SFIND and Donny in his element like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are obviously correct.

The big-picture conversation includes way more factors than people are going to acknowledge on here. But the real problem is that the Fed has injected trillions of dollars into our economy. Their balance sheet is now closing in on $8 trillion of debt assets that they overpaid for (driving up the price to keep yields down to enable the debt bomb they created). Something close to 30 percent of all dollars were created in the last year. It is insanity and all the armchair central planners with "policy" to fix the world have no understanding of the things that have created the problems.

They have taken a giant dump on the dollar, devaluing its actual worth, and in a staggering way. ... which is making everything cost more. This is not just limited to all the speculation on bitcoin or Tesla stock and how those prices have gone way up. It's all around all of us.

Business owners are finding that there are shortages as a result, and the cost of their inputs have gotten more expensive. Including labor. And if your cost of inputs is going up way more than the business can support, the market might be telling you that the lumber you need costs 280 percent more or the corn that goes into your processed food is costing 30 percent more (those are not made up numbers) or that labor is costing you a lot more now. ... but your business can't support those higher costs. ... you are going to have to shut your doors.

SFIND likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just to add. ... All of those business going bust would be the self correcting mechanism. The cure for high pices is high prices, etc. But our government has stepped in running up trillions of dollars of debt to subsidize all of those things that can't exist on their own anymore.

So we have destroyed things. Everything from paying businesses that were closed to enhanced unemployment payments to the absurdity of just mailing checks to people in the name of "stimulus."

The thing that has actually stimulated is our public debt, but even worse than that, it isn't allowing the self correcting mechanism to correct, which then serves as the rationale for the Fed step in with more debt monetization to enable what the government is doing. And so they do more of it, except it requires larger and larger amounts of debt each time to prop up the mess.

And because we are a nation of idiots, we will do this until they can no longer monetize debt anymore -- the debt markets don't allow it -- and the bomb explodes on us.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to look at it from the employer's point of view, but if someone is going to spend 1/3 of their life or more working for somebody, the least the employee can do is pay them enough to support themselves.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I get the sentiment, and the logic.

There is, however, an element of unwillingness to actually work hard -- another words, a lack of basic work ethic -- that seems to be coming into play more and more. And, of course, because it makes sense, you tend to see it more in the lower-paying jobs that, generally speaking, do have a ceiling on how much businesses are willing, or even able, to pay their workers, and still be a sustainable, profitable business.

I see it all the time at Walmart, which is hiring, even now, and which doesn't have particularly high hiring standards, doesn't even pay all that badly in most places anymore, and still has trouble hiring, and keeping, good workers for whom the main qualification is just to simply show up for work on a consistent basis.

My feeling is that it is because you do, in fact, actually have to work pretty hard in most positions -- the tasks are often physical, there is a lot of customer service -- read: interruptions, issues and problems -- involved, and the stores are often understaffed, making things even harder, sometimes. And, a certain amount of initiative is required for best experience because there isn't always a lot of managerial direction to be had.

There are other factors involved in employee satisfaction and retention, of course, but when you have trouble getting workers for even starter, non-demanding (in terms of standards) jobs, I can believe that there's a problem with the workers, too. It usually isn't only about the pay.

Hermes, Driftwood and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bottom-feeder businesses. You mean, like locally-owned restaurants?

Hey - I'm generally with ya here. But the "villain" isn't typically Target, at least not where I live. Target pays OK. It's the coffee shop and restaurants owned, in some cases, by people progressives might even like.

Hermes likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you can’t afford to tip, you can’t afford to eat out.

If you can’t afford to pay a living wage, you can’t afford to hire employees. Either you can make it work with yourself and maybe some family members or you have your economic signal that your business isn’t viable.

It is very instructive to see who all is getting the vapors when “the least of these” have some real leverage in the employment market for the first time in over half a century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/05/07/uber-lyft-drivers/

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't care who owns it. If they underpay their workers I don't care if they're someone I might otherwise like. When your employees are working full time and bouncing on the poverty line, on medicaid because they can't afford health insurance, I don't care if you're "a progressive". In fact, pretty much anyone doing that simply isn't a progressive.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted