1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A person can start work tomorrow at Walmart for $14/hour, Target for $15/hour, Buc-ees for $16/hour (that’s real, and I know someone who quit Walmart to go work for Buc-ees), or something else at $9.25/hour.

For a certain type of person, there’s a higher level of comfort in blaming “gub’mint unemployment checks” than there is in dealing with the fact that the salary market is outpacing them because they have unrealistic beliefs about what people will accept as a salary.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Has anyone stopped to wonder who's dumber: Josh Hawley himself or the idiots who think he, the Subhuman Pile of Crime and all the other cultists are "fighting for us and fighting for this country" when it's really a case of people with such empty lives that they live vicariously through the so-called victories of their "heroes"?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sign at my local supermarket says they're offering jobs starting at $17 an hour. Now, that sum in New England is probably close to what $14 is in less expensive parts of the country.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Sunni Hostin is a fool. These individuals don't represent Octave.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're being facetious (I think), and so am I, to an extent. But, this IS happening, and will, more and more. Again, I'm seeing it in my work.

Lately, the younger people are getting the top managerial jobs, practically right out of college, while the 40- to 65-year-old crowd makes up the actual physically-working work force. I have a guy in my store in a coach position (the store-level job immediately below that of store manager) who looks like he's 15 years old. And I'm certain he's not more than 23. In the departments he leads, most of the actual workers are 40+, with a couple of 18-year-olds thrown in.

Everything seems backwards. And in a very real sense, this reversal throws off the effectiveness of the operation, because, typically, the younger, stronger, faster people would be doing the most physical work, while the older crowd would be in management positions. It's a model that makes more sense, career-progress wise, seems fairer and more right, and is actually operationally correct and more effective. But, make no mistake, it is changing in a wholesale way.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't think all Chick-Fil-A franchisees share corporate's politics. One in New Hampshire supports same-sex marriage, I think.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If a person is looking for someone to service his lawn, should his goal be "get the most service for the best price" or "make sure what I'm paying is a living wage for my lawn guy"?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you say “I’m only going to pay so much for this service” but nobody is willing to provide that service for such a price, then you either do it yourself or raise your offer. That’s the free market at work.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why does the person on the other side of the desk matter?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I consider things "fair" when they are done voluntarily.

If I want to buy something, I will have a price it is worth to me. The person selling it has a price they want. Either we both voluntarily agree to transact, or we are both free to walk away. There will likely be others willing to sell what I want for less, and I can see if I can transact with them instead. Take all the sellers and all the buyers and all the prices they are willing to transact at, and whatever equilibrium price that gives you is "fair." At least as I'd define "fair."

That is how a market works.

Labor exists in a market. A worker is selling his or her labor. An employer is purchasing labor. If they transact and it is voluntary, I can't think of anything more fair. If that worker really thinks it is "unfair" I believe they should be perfectly free to test the market to find the employer willing to be more "fair" (pay more for what they have to offer), as you see it.

I'll need you to explain this "artificially low minimum wage" to me. A minimum wage is a price floor. Price floors are what are artificial, and they are economically destructive. When you artificially drive up the price of something above where the market equilibrium price would be, people reduce their purchases (hire fewer workers, in the case of the labor market), switch to substitutes (automate, in the case of the labor market) or drop out of the market entirely. The suppliers (workers, in a labor market) find they are guaranteed a new higher price and as a result they supply more to the market. This creates surpluses (unemployed people).

This is no less true in the labor market than it would be if I dictated the price of your morning coffee by fiat above what the market actually bears.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They quit shooting themselves in the foot quite so publicly. You will have to pry my Chik-Fil-A out of my dead fingers, politics be damned. You don't know anyone who has been eating there longer than I have.

Fred siegle, wicked and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted