1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So, if you believe in the Chamber’s analysis, and let’s pretend we do for the moment, 25 percent of the American workforce makes less than $300 a week.

So look. Pierce’s larger point is a good one. But he appears to have written a piece that purports that the $300 isn’t a supplemental benefit, but the entire benefit. The $300 is an enhancement.

Unemployment + the supplement = enough to live on, and more than they would make at their old jobs.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How about a dropped transmission away?

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And sorry about the grammatical crash and burn in that post.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

3B9A4F37-5C5D-431C-AAC5-B974C5A827A9.jpeg The headline just congers so many questions yet is only shocking it isn’t what you think it is

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'm late to this, but I couldn't let this pass:

Maybe don't use WalMart as your example in your argument that there's a problem with the workforce.

WalMart treats its employees like shit. We're talking about a company founded by a man who openly talked about his desire to keep wages and benefits low.

Sam Walton - "I pay low wages. I can take advantage of that. We're going to be successful, but the basis is a very low-wage, low-benefit model of employment."

Inside | Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS

We're talking about a company with a history of class action lawsuits over withheld wages, employees forced to work off the clock, child labor law violations, and more.

USATODAY.com - Wal-Mart to face employee suit in Missouri

We're talking about a company that stopped offering healthcare to a large portion of its workers and asked the government to pick up the tab.

Walmart's New Health Care Policy Shifts Burden To Medicaid, Obamacare | HuffPost

And then, a year later, it cut benefits for even more workers.

Wal-Mart cuts health benefits for 30,000 part-timers

Just sayin', maybe WalMart has trouble keeping good employees because it's a festering cesspool of rotten fecal matter. And using that hellhole as a barometer of the workforce's supposed lack of work ethic is disingenuous as fuck.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Agreed.

We prepared the work force for a post-industrial world when the world indeed still needs people who do hard, laborious, mundane work.

As David Foster Wallace pointed out in the Pale King, the greatest asset a worker can now have in the modern world is the willingness, the ability, the mentality to do the menial, boring, hard work that often needs to be done.

We created a whole lot of people who want to be queen bee and no one who wants to be the worker bee.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is about a 2 on the significance scale but an 11 on the what's wrong wrong with the world scale.
    Bastards like Trump always get away with stuff while people who are generally good folks don't.

When former President Donald Trump heads to his New Jersey golf club for the summer, he will leave his Palm Beach home with the legal right to live there.
    Turning aside arguments from neighbors who claim that Trump is not permitted to live at Mar-a-Lago based on a Declaration of Use agreement he signed with the town in 1993, Palm Beach Town Attorney John Randolph concluded that the agreement doesn't specifically prohibit the ex-president from residing at the club, Town Manager Kirk Blouin told the Daily News this week.
    The 1993 agreement allowed Trump to convert the private residence into a private club.
    Randolph also advised that under the town's zoning code, private clubs can provide living quarters to a "bona fide employee."
    Under evidence provided to the town, Trump is a bona fide employee of Mar-a-Lago, Randolph concluded.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Businessman can't be forced to make gay cake

Different businessman has to be forced to publish rantings of madman which are all fake

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Higher than a 2 because of the after affects.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great premise for a show on MTV, or Fox.

Hermes likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My nephew works at Wal-Mart stocking shelves. He makes $16/hr and $24/hr on Sundays. It’s a helluva first job for a 16-year-old.

I see local restaurant owners whining they can’t get teenagers to work take a job working for less than $10/hr.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Where I work makes darn near $30 an hour after 18 months, gold-plated insurance, profit-sharing. I have 21-year olds with nothing but sub-par high school educations on my line whining about not being paid enough.

I can’t help but think that in 2008 when I entered the workforce during the Great Recession that I’d have gnawed off an arm — my own or someone else’s — for a $30 an hour job.

Draft saved Draft deleted