1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OFFS, it's not being caused by your mortal enemies - The Cools. You read one paragraph, get red assed and either miss or choose to ignore ones like ...

"There’s also been a wave of retirements as workers over 50 quit because they don’t want to return to teaching, home health care or other front-line jobs. More affluent Americans say they are retiring early because their retirement portfolios have surged in the past year and the pandemic has taught them that life is short."

And ...

"Two supposedly hot areas of the economy — manufacturing and construction — also had surprisingly weak hiring, with manufacturing shedding 18,000 jobs and construction flat. Supply chain holdups are forcing factories and construction sites to slow down or even shut down for a while. But it’s notable that the manufacturing sector has bounced back strongly, yet the industry has only added back about 60 percent of the jobs lost. This suggests many factories are ramping up automation in a way that allows them to do more with fewer workers."

But, yeah, Millennial Cools choosing to live #vanlife are the biggest factor. Not a forced revaluation of your work life due to layoffs, shutdowns and/or WFH. Fuckin' Cools ruin everything with their Snapgrams and Instabook.

X-Hack, SFIND, Fred siegle and 8 others like this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm a cynic and I think that's an overly cynical take regarding your 'niche.' I don't think people necessarily approach things in the terms of thinking they're better than. I don't know, maybe it's different now than it was. It probably is. But I went to college to get an education. I went to college in an era where people thought that the only reason women went to college was to find a husband. I'm not ever going to apologize for wanting that education and getting a education and working in a career that for the most part was quite satisfying. Writing sports didn't make me better than someone who cleans things or makes things or repairs things. But it satisfied me. And I don't have to apologize for that to anyone.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Your plan leaves a quarter of the population fucked forever.

It’s fine. Just don’t look down. They’ll soon have lost grip of the ladder and you can climb on unencumbered.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's good -- it can be exhausting. It's just the way it is.

I frequent another forum with a focus on early retirement. The number of people on it in their 30s and 40s surprised me at first, but I fully understand why people want off the hamster wheel.

Edit: The other thing on that forum that surprised me was the number of retirees who hated their jobs, even people who were quite well-paid.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Agreed. We’ve always just disagreed over how important the social signifiers of that matter.

I’m worried about the actual economics of it. Not the language.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-9_11-38-4.jpeg

garrow likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

These millennial cools seeking fulfillment and Instagram likes with their fancy office paper towels in order to make a moral statement.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Semper Lie: How Trump Politicized the Military
    Department of Injustice: How Trump Politicized the U.S. Attorney General's Office
    Bad Medicine: How Trump Politicized Public Health
    The Garden of Covid: How Trump Politicized the Supreme Court

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Florida, Oklahoma and Iowa pass laws making it legal to murder protestors by automobile.

Can't wait til the GQP die.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

There are people who should not work a line. Some of us shouldn't be in construction, either.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    doctorquant likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    the twitter picker upper

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Link?

Draft saved Draft deleted