1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would be really interesting seeing the GQP’s reaction if someone crashed their car into a Stop The Steal rally.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm the red-ass, huh?

Baby Boomers, bleeding into early Gen Xers, got their wad and are getting out. Millennials see there won't be a wad for them and seek meaning in other ways.

Are we not in an age of great deconstruction? Do you not look at, say, the 34-year-old Trump voter - and there are ton of those, too - and wonder what the hell are you on?

Like I said...the old Boomer mechanisms aren't working for newer generations that I believe are constrained by sudden, strong bouts of morality - bouts that were only augmented by COVID. We probably know too much about too many things in this very moment, and what we can't harshly judge enough in the moment - like Wal-Mart, a store I don't even like - we dredge up their past sins. We've so eroded trust in institutions - in some cases, erosion was earned, in others not so much - that people believe all kinds of ludicrous conspiracy, including the one about some dude on a message board sending coded messages about Trump to the world.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How is this working out for them?

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Uneducated people believe absurd conspiracy bullshit (a 'theory' has been subjected to the rigors of the scientific method - none of the excrement these people peddle, have).

And by uneducated, I don't mean fancy book-learnin'. I mean having enough training to discern between truth and garbage. In many ways it isn't their fault they don't know better.

lakefront, SFIND, Fred siegle and 2 others like this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By uneducated I mean people who take the Bible literally. The truly stupid are people who take it literally, but only the parts they like.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I hope you're doing OK, abbott. Did some planting this morning and thought about you.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

"We know too much about too many things?"

So, what, ignorance is bliss?

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say we think we know too much about too many things.

Lots of people speaking authoritatively about something that may have crossed their Twitter feed.

TigerVols and JC like this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Like an imbecile president who becomes an expert on infectious disease overnight? The fucking oaf even told the CDC people he 'might have been born to do this.'

wicked, SFIND and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also tried to tell the firefighters in Paris how to douse the flames at Notre Dame. He knows a little bit about everything. You don't even have to ask him, he'll tell you he does.

Imagine if the horse kneeled during "My Old Kentucky Home?" And Trump would probably want the orioginal lyrics reinstated.

SFIND, Octave, OscarMadison and 2 others like this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

And yet he's much older than the people supposedly coming to this mindset.

SFIND, TowelWaver and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted