1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sometimes. The vaccine is inarguably a good thing. Is it helpful to know of a few adverse reactions that have turned into a anti-vax movement?

To be clear, I’m not advocating for less information, per se. We just aren’t handling well the deluge of it at our fingertips. We know too much. Kind of like the “man’s free will” conundrum. Glad I have it. Struggle to handle it.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'd argue that we think we know more than we do, because we read something once.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

That’s the frightening thing. There are a lot of late boomers and early Gen Xers and on down the line who lap up this bullshit. This isn’t going away.

HanSenSE, SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I really don't know if your naivety is an act or genuine.

Anti-vaxxers would have latched onto something else if there had been no announcement of adverse reactions.

"Really? No one had a bad reaction? What are they hiding!"

"This is new technology. It hasn't been tested!"

"I don't need the vaccine because I'm 25 and healthy."

We don't handle information well because we're uneducated, largely because an entire party has built itself on stunting progress to win elections.

And there is no better proof in their effectiveness than this thread, where you've been wringing your hands over the morality of millennials while ignoring the specific misdeeds and obstruction that's led millions of millennials to think the way they do.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

you know who gave us all that too much that we know the media

SFIND and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Disagree there. Educated people don't always handle knowledge well, either. Brilliant people full of knowledge can be horribly well-adjusted.

Generally we struggle because we're human. IMO.

But it's true that progressive people think the issue is education - of others, that is.

I appreciate, too, the idea that Americans' lack of education is predicated largely on a political election strategy. It doesn't have much to do with the educational establishment itself. No. It's mostly a big (and successful) plot hatched by a political party, the deliberately miseducation of America.

I'm not wringing my hands over it - though I appreciate your acknowledging that I'm onto something. I'm pointing out the shift, which is real. And yes of course I'm being general. These isn't a scholarly journal; it's a message board. I'm not saying millennials lack legitimate grievances; I think that generation has been educated to spot those better than most generations, and, further, possess the whatever-you-want-to-call-it - courage, arrogance, conscience, snowflakism - to call it out with moral confidence. Millennials tend to think they're really onto something. Maybe they are. The tendency - right or wrong - will bear out in our nation's trajectory considerably, and already has. It feels like we're moving toward a reckoning where Americans under 40 or so - and plenty over that, to be sure - desire a reformation of nearly every American institution. We'll see how it goes.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The BBC reported the doctor who discovered Navalny's poisoning is missing on A HUNTING TRIP IN SIBERIA, and two doctors with him died "prematurely."

Vlad the Impaler strikes again.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Stop the steal
    Art of the deal
    Fast food meal
    Bone spurs in the heel

Hang Mike Pence
    COVID negligence
    I'll keep you in suspense
    Cozy with dictator governments

Voter suppression
    Pandemic recession
    Bigoted aggression
    National regression

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Discerning whenever a stranger or even entire categories of people are making a moral judgement and what the content of said judgement might be has to be the world’s shittiest superpower.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted