1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We're already a nation that routinely elects Presidents who had millions of fewer votes than their opponents - to me, that is the greatest argument against the Electoral College, but not necessarily to a straight popular vote. Because the margin looks to only become wider, and by placing further "institutional controls" on voting and legislative districts the whole "consent of the governed" thing outlined in the Declaration of Independence goes out the window. It's really a neat trick that Trumpists and Republicans are acting like they're the good guys trying to "save America."

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They may have information needed to expand the net. Take them to overseas black sites (they’re terrorists, so it’s established precedent) and introduce them to enhanced interrogation tactics.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There’s only so many times you can say something to Abbott before giving up. So, yes, @Alma, you missed those posts.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Christians and police officers became such because they voluntarily joined the ranks. In both cases they have broadly-understood ethics they are agreeing to uphold and they agreed (at least in theory) to be held accountable to that standard. It is acknowledged that none are perfect, but when they fall grossly out of line with their professed standards, it is fair game for public comment.

Millennials didn’t sign up for anything. They are inconsistently labeled as such because they were born into a certain age bracket. The end.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hydroxychloro-equine

[​IMG]

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't know the how or why of this stuff, but I do know that I would like to see some long term sentencing for any body they can catch doing this. Very long term.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know that I shouldn't use the GQP method of picking at "The MEDIA!", but a really good question that members need to continually ask GQPers is "Are you going to claim that every single election that your party's candidate loses is rigged?"

It puts the GQPer on the spot. They say yes, and the follow-up question should be "Are you saying that your party is never allowed to lose an election?" They say no, and the follow-up question should be, "Well, if not all elections are rigged, why do you keep insisting that this one is?"

HanSenSE, Mngwa, garrow and 1 other person like this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife says that the fact that some moderates and progressives are now supporting a Cheney is more evidence that Trump is the portal to Topsy-Turvy World.

(But my wife also contends that dirty dishes do not need to soak in the sink until they, and the motivation to wash them, have reached some sort of a critical mass. So, I’m not sure how much stock I should put in her opinions.)

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd argue there are distinctives to generations based on the forces that shape them and what happens as a result. But, as I said, I acknowledge the exception may always be in the room. And I often use qualifying words - generally, most, many - to show that, yes, I am generalizing.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma-
    Millennials are getting the fuck out of Dodge, viz. urban exodus. Which is probably a wise idea, but they expect the world to stop while they're doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted