1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

LOL. There were more people there when I visited on a summer weekday in 2018.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What’s deteriorating every day in the city core? Not arguing at all. Just curious.

My Littleton-golf-course-based father-in-law and his wife recently bought guns for the first time and are taking self defense classes because they’re so scared of BLM mobs.

(I shit you not. Every time they come visit us in Steamboat they aggressively praise us for our foresight and safety even though they equally aggressively counseled us against buying our house here, even after it was a done deal.)

Anyway, I’ve felt like his view is very Fox-tinted so I’m curious for some other insight. I just had some other friends move from Littleton into Highland Park and they’re in love with it.

It makes sense to me that in the new age of WFH everyone is looking for more space and that that and low interest rates are fueling this insane market, which so far as I can tell stretches coast to coast. But sounds like your motivations were deeper than just that.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Another crack in the façade?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Was @Carlkochak in the parking lot still waiting for @Regan MacNeil

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, you see ... they love to b_tch and groan and complain about "cancel culture." But then, they do the same to Liz Cheney and that's perfectly acceptable.

Hypocrites. Too many of them.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The BLM protests were very close to me last summer. Like marching right outside on a street I loved on. Bothered my parents and sister in Boulder more than it bothered me. Which was none at all, really.

The big thing in the city is the rapidly expanding homeless situation and the uptick in crime. Even with a camping ban (upheld in an 80-20 vote a couple of years ago), numerous sidewalks are blocked by tents and the mayor can't/won't get it figured out. It's downtown, near the Capitol, on busy streets, in parks. Will be interesting to see what they do when the All-Star Game comes here in two months.

It was just announced they're going to try to put an authorized camp in Park Hill, and, well, lawsuit.

And the crime in the area I was in (a mile east of the Capitol) has just gotten worse. Shootings. Stabbings. Robberies. Assaults. Even during the pandemic. Hell, just this weekend, there were at least five shootings in Denver alone, one of which ended up with a cop shot in the leg.

So combined with that and that I had had the place for nearly 17 years and wanted something different and just out of the city, it was time to mix it up. It's beyond crowded, as mentioned the homeless/crime situation didn't make it unlivable, but it was time for a change.

Highland is a nice area, but also busting at the seams. I looked in Littleton but couldn't find anything I liked. And obviously, Steamboat is great. My late sister and her family had a second home there. My other sister got it as part of the inheritance and rents it out long-term. Then they bought another rental because that's where they go and ski and it's next to the lift lines.

Steamboat isn't for everyone, but I love it up there. Going to be curious what employers do, if they demand employees come back into the office when a lot of places have shown WFH works just great. It's why mountain town home sales are through the roof, including Steamboat. My sister's realtor asked her if they wanted to sell the long-term rental. They could sell it in a day and get $200,000 over what it was worth at the time of the inheritance. She's keeping it because there's no mortgage on it and the long-term renters are great and it's easily managed from Boulder.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

GRRRR ... I SHOWED UP AND DID A BUNCH OF PULLUPS!!!!

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Right-wingers are like Russian nesting dolls containing all the worst behaviors/beliefs. One after another.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd still like my $25 back from him for fucking up what should have been a victory.

wicked likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, so? Multiple wrongs don’t gin out a right.

Draft saved Draft deleted