1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Any Covid-19 news to discuss?

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

You have the floor. Go right on ahead.

3. doctorquant

Why didn't the CDC use a "less than 50%" benchmark re: outdoor transmission? Seems to me that going with "less than 10%" was awfully reckless and might encourage people to take on too much risk.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see how being the nail would be tiresome for you. :)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't the hypocrites give you any talking points today?

6. doctorquant

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The NY Times newsletter this morning calling the CDC on that 10 percent number was very well done. Just yesterday, I went for a neighborhood walk and people are still dodging others like they have the plague. It's dumb. I went to the local USL League One game the other night. We were outside near no one and still got yelled at several times for not having our masks on at all times.

Outdoor masking is theater at this point. Much like the temperature check and hygiene theater that continued well after it was clear that COVID was not spread via surfaces.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just a complete disaster. I mean, this passage:

If you read the academic research that the C.D.C. has cited in defense of the 10 percent benchmark, you will notice something strange. A very large share of supposed cases of outdoor transmission have occurred in a single setting: construction sites in Singapore.

Good Lord. It's either rank incompetence, that nobody paid attention to that, or some sly BS where the CDC hoped no one noticed!

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Agreed, but:

A. It doesn’t hurt anyone.

B. Had assholes worn the masks in the first place, maybe we wouldn’t be here.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't care if people wear masks outdoors. You do you, boo.

I'm getting sick of people judging me for not wearing a mask outdoors. I'm doing me, boo.

Inky_Wretch and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted