1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I think it's a scream that liberals are trying to convince other liberals to feel bad for the daughter of Dick Cheney.

Like her new nemesis Dumb Donald, another lifelong member of the lucky sperm club.

Like, not happening.

If these fucks want to trash their own party then get on with it.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't get that at all. Every person is a citizen first, their job a damn poor second. I play golf, but it didn't affect how I covered the Masters or the Open.

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We are about to list my father-in-laws home in north Charlottesville, which my wife owns half of. It's on two cleared acres in the county with an in-ground pool. Huge rooms... three levels (unfinished huge basement). He had not upgraded a thing in 20 years and last June a realtor said it could be sold for $400,000 as-is. A storm hit and took part of the roof off, so insurance helped us upgrade a lot. We have new floors, carpet, bathrooms, roof, siding, new HVAC in sunroom, new fence around pool... Insurance gave us $75,000 or so. We added about $50,000.

Right now we have no idea what it will sell for. Could be $600,000 or it could be $1.0 mil. We have no idea at all.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agree. By linking themselves so firmly to Trump, the Republicans have altered the out party's motto "Time for a Change" into "Time for a Change Back." It's a much harder sell.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I couldn’t care less about the number 3 position among House GOP members. But literally the only reason she was removed was her insistence that Trump didn’t win the election. Mind boggling.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If this douchbag gets smoked in the Virginia governor's election, then we will know that Trumpism is not the gameplan. Hell, Chase got clobbered.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I think that most of us who dwell near the political middle think it's good to have two parties in opposition to each other, working through compromise to find solutions we can agree on.

Having one of those two parties devolve into insanity is a bad thing.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Justin-
    The party will splinter, which is a good thing for America.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Republicans have won the popular vote exactly once in the last eight presidential elections. Yeah, that's not how things are scored, but it's also not the sign of a party pitching competitively popular ideas.

So, if they can't win the battle of ideas nationally, they need to double down on what they do have, which is a fanatically motivated base, and to lean on what they can get accomplished, like gerrymandering themselves extra seats wherever possible and doing whatever remotely possible to load the courts with friendly judges.

And that means, as fucking stupid as anyone with a brain knows Trump is, he and his "fuck you, fuck your facts" brand of existence are their only remotely reasonable path forward. If their base loses any enthusiasm, they get steamrolled.

Fred siegle and I Should Coco like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

A disciplined White House that does not leak like a sieve and stays on message isn't treating the press badly. It's acting like competent adults instead of Trump's team being adversarial, flailing around haplessly and knifing each other in the press.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I could get more solidly behind this if the GOP’s hand wasn’t on the dead man’s switch.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

She was removed for that - but the unspoken corollary to that stance is that there is no justification for the onslaught of new voter laws if that election wasn't fraudulent. They can't afford to have her in leadership making that claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted