1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No to the spoiler. When I saw a spoiler on a VW Rabbit, I knew it was a lower end iteration of manroot enhancement usually expressed by Corvette ownership. (The proper term is "Bowling Green Penis Extender." One time someone cornered me while I was walking from my car back to ahfergitwhat. They were in town for one of those 'Vette events at the museum. They wanted to know where the bluegrass was. I gave them directions to the nearest Lowe's.)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's been an ongoing theme since Georgia started to reopen almost 13 months ago.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's (F)ound (O)n (R)oad (D)ead ... which gives anything better than a Yugo a decent chance.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The fastest I've driven was 137 mph, in my '86 Honda Prelude, one quiet afternoon on the sweeping curves of Route 25 between Bridgeport and Monroe, CT. We weren't going quite that fast in the cab on the Autobahn the next year.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

128 is as fast as I’ve gone on a straight road in the middle of cornfields with no intersections for three miles. I was still scared I’d hit a rock. I then tried to imagine going 100 mph hour faster and on a bank and noooooooooope.

This is why I will never actually buy a Civic Type R despite wanting one dearly.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Already had two people come through my lines this weekend - the other late cashier said she's had about a half-dozen - come in without masks, or taking them off at the pay point, and saying "I heard we don't have to wear them anymore." People are hearing what they want to hear, just like Trump wanting everyone to take hydroxycholorquin and do shots of Lysol.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

“You believe in less government regulation, right? And that businesses should be able to serve who they choose?”

“Why, yes, I do.”

“Good. It may not be law anymore, but this business chooses to require masks. Put it on and STFU.”

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This place isn’t representative of much in that regard. The impression, for example, that the mask recs were eased for the sake of pacifying “Trumpists” is ludicrous.

A giant chunk of America was over this months ago and have been doing, in essence, what it long had.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let's put that a little differently. ... This notion is not ludicrous: that the mask recommendations were changed more quickly than they otherwise would have been if we weren't a nation of idiots. But some localities were rebelling against the recommendations already anyhow and they were trying to think of incentives for the morons out there who still won't get vaccinated. So they weren't just considering the risks from the virus in giving a recommendation, they decided to factor in behavioral factors as well that struck a balance between smart behavior and the idiotic ways a lot of people are going to behave regardless of any recommendation they make.

At the least, indoor masking is effective and it's not that hard to do, so until more people are vaccinated, there was an argument to be made that keeping that in place would have been smart.

The virus could give two fucks if "America was over this months ago." It doesn't work that way. But if people are going to do whatever they are going to do anyhow, it appears that the CDC made a marked shift in their judgment calls.

They had more information coming in suggesting that the vaccines are very effective, and are greatly reducing the risks.

But if people weren't dumbfucks by and large? They'd be telling us to be patient, keep masks on indoors, etc., and hope that we can get 80 percent of the population vaccinated in the next few weeks so we can hopefully shed the masks with more confidence. Doing so would undoubtedly save some lives that we're going to lose.

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. So they decided to work with what they are dealing with.

I personally think they botched it, in terms of the manner they did it.

Just be fucking honest with people, and don't try to turn everything into a kindergarten sales job because you are dealing with a lot of morons.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Pennsylvania could work a similar deal with Pocono Raceway. I wouldn’t mind taking the Lacrosse for a spin on a racetrack. The drive there on interstate 81 would be worse than anything the course throws at me.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Word of caution... driving on a NASCAR track (oval) will destroy your tires.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Hey, doesn't your FREEDOM! include personal choice? Who cares if someone else still chooses to mask!"

Draft saved Draft deleted