1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Look, we all know the vast majority of people are mouth-breathing idiots. Anybody who works with the public knows it.

Unfortunately, they now get to play Choose Your Own Adventure with media outlets that reinforce whatever idiotic ideas they believe. The pandemic has proven it. The differing viewpoints of Jan. 6 prove it. The Big Lie proves it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think people who wear socks with Birkenstocks look ridiculous; I think people who wear masks indoors look smart.

Neither one impacts me one iota, now that I'm vaxxed and masked. You wanna prove a political point and jeopardize your health? Knock yourself out.

Inky_Wretch, garrow and dixiehack like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, and that -- the path of least resistance -- does seem the greatest likelihood. But, if these places are going to supposedly lay down separate rules for different people -- the vaccinated and the unvaccinated -- then it would seem to follow that there might be some thought about how to enforce them. And requiring people to show their vaccination cards seems like a possible way to do it, akin to "vaccination passports" and the like.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Creating a fake vax card, or buying a blank, may be the single easiest thing to do.
    I'd rather go on the honor system and not insult anyone's intelligence.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know one thing you can do to get a card that is even easier.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Get that, too. We have people making fake labels from our online-pickup operation and sticking them on everything they put in their shopping carts at Walmart and trying to walk out the door with it. But you've got to start somewhere/try something, and you can't account for every person who has no conscience or doesn't care if they're breaking laws.

I don't see how/why we can't just require everyone to get the vaccination, a la kids who get the ones they do in order to go to school. Given the ease and lack of issues with this shot, I don't know why this has to be so hard for everybody, or anybody. Make it so it's just, the thing to do, like getting/having a driver's license, etc.

But then, I'm a reasonable person.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I learned a new vocabulary word this weekend and it absolutely fits American culture in the 20s.

Whitmire: What I learned about Alabama (and covid) from taking out the trash

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Stopped into Publix to grab lunch sans mask. It was odd, but I'll get used to it again. I'd say about 50-50 masked/unmasked. Some staff were wearing theirs, others weren't.

9. dixiehack

Yesterday was our first mask-optional day at church. Guy running the sound booth was the only one I saw masked. His wife, an associate pastor up on stage, was not.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are all vaccinated. Don't worry about them.

11. dixiehack

We’re Methodists, so probably better odds than the Baptist church across the street. ;)

Again, I have carried the ball for 14 months, and so have a lot of other really responsible people. I understand there is a bit of trauma involved in letting go, but we can’t scream “Trust the science!” for a year and then just go freelance when the numbers clearly point in a different direction.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Flu: Not serious enough to mandate masks or vaccinations.
    COVID: Serious enough to mandate masks and vaccinations.

What about the next virus that falls in the middle . . . deadlier than the flu but not as bad as COVID. Where is the line?

Draft saved Draft deleted