1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Why have we spent all these years wearing shirts and shoes into businesses??

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Because we keep hearing the mocking tone of Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" in our ears.
    "No shirt, no shoes, no dice."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm referring to GOVERNMENT-MANDATED orders. The kinds that close businesses.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ask Greg Abbott. He thinks he can run The Republic with an iron fist.

When he gets people killed – because what are the odds that the anti-vaxxers and/or COVID deniers claim they're vaccinated, get infected and end up seriously disabled or dead – he just might discover that stupid actions can result in catastrophic consequences.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe. They'll. Die.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

None of this has anything to do with my original question --- what do we do when a pandemic comes along, say, one-quarter or one-fifth as deadly as COVID?

But whatever. :rolleyes:

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, overprepare. Better to do so and lighten up than let what happened last year to occur.

Maybe next time, some will actually concern themselves with safety and science over politics. Maybe.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." -- Surprisingly respected high school dropout

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anti-vaxxers/COVID deniers who catch it and end up seriously ill. It's on them.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read "safety and science over politics" as saying, "when making decisions with regard to the tradeoffs, use evidence and reason to guide you, not bullshit and sophistry."

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well you're no fun ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My little Cape Cod town's board of health just lifted its outdoor downtown mask mandate. Its chairman is in my golf league, and he said yesterday that once the CDC announcement came out, the board felt it would be impossible not to. Said one of the board's goals in creating covid regulations was to insure maximum compliance. Said there was 99 percent compliance with the outdoor mandate until now, but it was felt that would sink to 9 percent after the CDC's statement. Note: This is a quasi-retirement community as well as a summer resort destination. Median age of residents is like 60. Vaccination rates high even for highly vaccinated Massachusetts. But I thought his point was well taken. There's not much use in crafting guidelines and/or mandates that people aren't going to accept.

Draft saved Draft deleted