1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I only wore cloth. Never had one issue.

JC likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The mask dehydrates you if worn for any length of time. It is what it is.

Be a "True Patriot" there sir and respect that others have a different risk assessment of this than you do.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good. I did. And so did a few other people I knew.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But Alma’s anecdotal bullshit trumps that. Neither did I, I don’t know anyone that did.

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Correlation is obviously causation!

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shrug. So try a different kind.

SFIND and JC like this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I've only used cloth masks with coffee filters in the little pockets the few times I've gone out so far. It's really humid in Tennessee and to be honest, I've gotten a little panicky walking from my car to the clinic for my shot, etc. Of course, I'm breathing just fine and once I get inside, the feelings dissipate. The operative word here is feelings. Is it possible people are thinking they're about to smother when in fact they're perfectly okay?

SFIND, Dyno and Mngwa like this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Of course people could be thinking or feeling like they're smothered.

But none of these masks are airtight. None of them are gas masks. Cloth, N95, disposable ... all of them let air pass in and out. Everything will be fine.

SFIND, sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I did. And it didn’t happen anymore. Which I wrote.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Maybe it was in my head. Switched to surgical masks, and the issue went away but maybe the surgical mask was a placebo in that regard.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is strictly antecdata, but as time went on I noticed the quality and breathability of the masks seemed to be getting better. Could be that early days was just stitching any lint available together and calling it good.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The worst thing about masks for me was that my eyes have had a chronic inflammatory condition, which caused me all kinds of misery in 2019. It's under control now, but it screwed up my cornea, which required surgery right as we were heading into the pandemic. I effectively can't wear contact lenses now, and I am blind without glasses. And masks make the glasses fog up. You'd think that would be a trivial thing, but masks were Mr. Magooing me. So for months, when I was going into a store, or I was going to be out for any length of time around people, I had a surgical mask underneath a cloth mask, and I was using surgical tape to keep the ridiculous getup tight to my skin under my eyes, so my glasses wouldn't fog up. It was an effective solution, and I even got used to it in a weird way, but. ... it kind of sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted