1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Fair point, but it's still amusing a newspaper-origin company might save the tech bros who were going to kill papers (like the corporate overlords needed their help).

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Times benefitted from a unique realization, that there were parts of its base product, the recipes and puzzles, that digitally could be monetized for much larger sums than the base product itself.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The puzzles and recipes apps are a significant source of revenue. Podcasts have been also. But don't forget that the NY Times grew digital subscriptions from somewhere around 2 million when Trump took office to more than 6.5 million when he left. I suspect they have hit a wall on that, and know it is done, which is why they would be looking to find new things.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

would guess this always was the overarching plan ... make the thing profitable and then sell to a robust media outfit that's been in the game a long time.

I hope for the best set of outcomes for all involved.

5. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

The New York Times has an elite digital product, that's why it's thriving. So does The Athletic. I don't know if this deal will get done, but man, what a powerhouse it would be. The NYT has more than 7.5M active digital subscribers and The Athletic has more than 1.2M. These two organizations know what they are doing. Outside of those two and the Wall Street Journal, how many sites have topped a million?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The Athletic never has turned a profit.

7. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

It's not even five years old. A lot of upfront costs, a lot of newer subscribers on introductory rates. Not to mention a full year in a pandemic. But 1.2M subscribers and a $500M valuation is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when everyone else in the same business is seeing revenue drop by double-digit percentages quarter over quarter. Tribune, with brands more than 100 years old, sold for just $633M.

The New York Times is well worth the $27/month price. The Athletic is well worth the $5/month price. Put them together, cut out redundancies on the business side, I don't see how any national organization that covers both news and sports competes with that.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  8. The Big Ragu

Upfront costs would have no bearing on the current profitability.

I'd argue that the truest evidence that the Athletic is worth the $5/month price, as you put it, would be if the number of subscribers it attracts at that price resulted in the company turning a profit.

As for the $500 million valuation being nothing to sneeze at, as you put it, that has nothing to do with the actual business model. If I convince you that the gallon of milk in my fridge is worth $1,000 and you buy it from me for that, it simply means that you overpaid for a gallon of milk. The milk itself might be perfectly fine, but its more objective value isn't dependent on how much you were willing to pay for it. In an environment that has been largely driven by cheap money, an insane amount of liquidity, and the greater fool theory (that there will always be a fool willing to pay more than you paid), it's worth asking if that $500 million is where someone gets left holding the bag.

Of course, just as I type that, we'll get an announcement that the NY Times paid more than that for the company. But valuations right now have as much meaning as the valuation someone was putting on pets.com had in 1999.

9. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

We've all watched Shark Tank, pal, we know how valuations work.

If I were a shark buying The Athletic, I'd tell them to raise their price. It's a superior product to what people can get from other outlets, so they should charge that way. Where else can you get local baseball coverage plus Ken Rosenthal, Jayson Stark, Mark Carig, etc.? Oh plus local and national coverage of every other major sport, even quality WNBA coverage.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That would be something, wouldn't it?

11. The Big Ragu

The thing they don't show you on Shark Tank is how many of those companies go out of business because they never find a way to grow and give a return on the investment.

If only running a business was as simple as "I am going to raise prices because I think our product is great."

The typical subscriber to The Athletic is going to have a fixed amount of discretionary income every month. ... and a lot of things competing for it. That might include a Netflix or Hulu subscription, a Peloton subscription, X number of Starbucks frappucinos. ... or any other number of other things. There may be a really large pool of sports fans who would love a subscription to the Athletic. But if the Athletic falls on the fringe of the list of things competing for their discretionary income (because people have to make the choices), the pricing power you think is a given doesn't exist. That may be what they are running into.

12. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

You take things way too literally. Loosen up.

Draft saved Draft deleted