1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does he keep changing how he pronounces Arkansas?

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis said he believes it was a targeted attack on U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

“This is a terrorist attack against the LGBT community,” Trantalis told Local 10 News. “This is exactly what it is. Hardly an accident. It was deliberate, it was premeditated, and it was targeted against a specific person. Luckily they missed that person, but unfortunately, they hit two other people.”

2 hit by truck, 1 killed at Pride parade in Wilton Manors

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I didn't hear it. Arkansas and Arkansans are both proper.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of targeted attacks …

Officer shoots driver accused of hitting at least 9 cyclists during Arizona road race

(Yeah, not politics. But as a cyclist who rolled out with a big club ride this morning, I wish they’d killed the driver too.)

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Might take a while to sort this one out ...

11 p.m.: In a statement from Justin Knight, the president of the Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus, the driver was a member of the chorus and so were the two people hit by the truck. In videos of the arrest, the driver is wearing a shirt from the organization.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the tragic accident that occurred when the Stonewall Pride Parade was just getting started. Our fellow Chorus members were those injured and the driver was also a part of the Chorus family. To my knowledge, this was not an attack on the LGBTQ community. We anticipate more details to follow and ask for the community's love and support."

9:50 p.m.: A “senior official briefed on the incident” told CBS Miami that the driver told police his “foot was stuck between the gas pedal and the brake,” which caused him to lose control of the truck and drive into the crowd.

Man Arrested After Driving Into Stonewall Parade Crowd, Killing 1 And Injuring More | Local | News | SFGN Articles

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of like how people from Honduras are Hondurans.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm from nowhere near there, but that demonym does seem odd. You'd almost think it should be pronounced "Arkan-sawns" (kind of like Utahns) because of the vowel sound it ends on. Instead it sounds like the name of an entirely different state. Are Kansans Arkansans?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It was a secret meeting to get a pardon for David Berkowitz.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted