1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

NYC Mayoral primary using ranked choice voting. I’m still trying to figure out how the last place finisher’s second-place votes are re-allocated.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But it really made no sense that only states with a "history" of it weren't allowed to gut protections without judicial oversight. And this court wasn't going to expand it to a 50-state threshold. That is what is needed and what is being sought. The VRA was reauthorized repeatedly over the last 40 years with bi-partisan support - why the pre-clearance wasn't expanded when there was still "bipartisanship" is beyond me.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Russian bots are in full swing today because of voting rights. I purposely avoid anything political like the plague on Instagram. I don't follow, like, click on, etc. All of a sudden today in the search suggestions I'm getting all manner of GQP talking point memes.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have managed not to allow myself to be afflicted with Instagram. That I still have FB is bad enough.

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Vote is 50-50
    Debate closed

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So it was such a bad bill that even just talking about it would have given it more credibility than it was worth?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing ever dies in Congress until they all go home.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

NC-

My feedback from others was Instagram is Facebook without the bullshit, and an acceptable fallout shelter from Facebook bullshit.
    I couldn't imagine that being the case, and checked it out for a week and it felt skeevier than Facebook.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Instagram is too much of a time suck, what with IG Stories, Reels, and gods know what all else. And it’s Facebook so it’s still sketchy.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yoga is the big thing on IG these days. Women are proud of their peaches. Most of the photos I've seen are really good. But yeah, the peaches.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They're elected to vote and debate. They should have to debate every single bill and vote on every single bill.

Don't tell me they don't have time. They have all the time in the world.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The whole point of the filibuster is, "we don't have to vote. We don't have to actually enact the bullshit we told you we'd do to get elected." The tell was back in 2017 when the Republicans had the trifecta and well before Trump was even sworn in, like 7-8 GOP Senators signed a letter saying they'd never get rid of the filibuster. Until they did for Supreme Court justices, a vote they WANTED to take.

Draft saved Draft deleted