1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonah Keri arrested for alleged spousal abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No longer alleged?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Legit (undiagnosed years ago) nutter or good lawyering?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I hope his ex-wife heals and his young child, who probably won’t know his father, thrives. And I hope this guy finds peace and is able to combat his pretty big demons.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

You never would have expected it from this guy. He is/was a lovely guy, or so it seemed. Just shows again don't judge a book by its cover.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am trying to be sympathetic, but trotting out mental illness as the excuse and proposed reason for such disturbing acts just doesn't fly with me.

It seems like people break out the mental-illness card every time there is something for which, frankly, there is just no other plausible reason.

I mean, of course something's wrong with somebody who commits such acts, but I'm not convinced mental-health issues are always to blame.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

There's something up when a guy is perfectly amiable in public life,
    with no whiff of scandal and no prior reproofs,
    (and unusually amiable for a sports writer who was visible to a very intent niche,)
    and then this happens.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I am however now convinced Keri's occasional dust-ups with Mad Dog Russo on MLB Radio were completely inauthentic.

Fake news.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mental health issues + substance abuse are a helluva combination.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I've been trapped deep in the threshold of both of those nasty problems in my life.

But I still didn't physically abuse my wife. Hopefully Keri gets help, but not before he's punished with every consequence he should be for assaulting a woman. She's the victim, not him.

wicked likes this.
  11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

They can be to blame, but that doesn't mean they should negate the consequences.

Perhaps some sympathy can extend to someone such as Keri in these circumstances, but he still did what he did. The real sympathy goes to his wife.

SFIND likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted