1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes you love/live by

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 10, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ran across this bit from an interview with actor Donal Logue. For whatever reason, I've felt some kinship with him for awhile due to age, background and life experience. I'm sure you all have some of your favorite quotes, I have others, that have stuck with you, but anyway - here's Donal's.

"After being accepted to Harvard as an intellectual history major and being convinced to audition for plays by my college roommates, I auditioned for 15 and didn't get called back for a single one. I had been a road manager for punk bands and a stage manager for a traveling theater company, but nothing had materialized. Out of the blue, though, I got a call to audition for the movie Sneakers out in L.A. and I had very little experience. When I was there, auditioning for the role in front of Ben Kingsley and Robert Redford and getting nods of approval, it provided validation to my efforts. That was my first big movie, and I knew that my life would not be dictated by normality.[6]

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Big fan of Donal Logue ever since his MTV cabbie commercials. Love Sneakers. One of my all-time favorite movies.

My favorite quote is from Pope Paul VI:

"If you want peace, work for justice."

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

One I heard recently, that I’ve since used often:

“If you want to be heard, stop shouting.”

maumann, lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

"I keep getting older, they keep staying the same age."

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “Mongo only pawn in game of life.”

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This quote from Leo Rosten was my mom’s. I learned from the Rabbi’s eulogy at her funeral last November that she carried a copy in her purse:

“I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be ‘happy’. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter; to count, to stand for something, to have made a difference that you lived at all.”

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Just when they've think they've got the answers, I change the questions!" -- Rowdy Roddy Piper.

The wrestling stuff aside, I think the quote does apply to real life. Just when you think you have something figured out, something else comes along and changes the situation entirely. Plus, it can also mean one doesn't always have to be conventional.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sage advice from unknown partner on golf course when I was about 25,

“you only get so much negative capital in your life, use it wisely.”

maumann, swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Trying my hardest to remember him in that movie. IMDB had him playing Janek. Doesn’t help.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Draft saved Draft deleted