1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's where we differ: Even if I did think that, the role is an exercise in the kind of thing this board labels wrongthink. Which, maybe it is. Two things can be true at once.

I understand what you're saying, though. Clay Travis embodies that. To the extent Glenn Beck comes across my consciousness, I couldn't tell you where the carnival barking stops and the...deeply broken person, with real life trauma, coming to odd conclusions in a quest to make sense of life...begins. I do think, with him, it's a blend of both. Even if I thought Travis was completely insincere, and Beck was halfway sincere, their chosen positions are pretty similar.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I mean, in a choice between honesty and dishonesty, I know which one I’d favor, even if the results are the same.

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Whitlock doesn't matter to me because his outputs exhibit intellectual laziness. Whitlock doesn't matter to me because he is not, in my opinion, a good writer - in terms of the craft, not in terms of his opinions or his political slant.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, career cautionary tale.

Handed the keys to the (Magic) Kingdom in 2015. Shitposting for the Blaze in 2021.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Can we
    Can we rename this The Whitlock Principle?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The lack of principle makes that impossible, I'm afraid.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It could replace the Peter Principle.

Azrael likes this.
  8. sporty

sporty Member

How about rename this why Whitlock is still relevant?This threat is 28 pages long so he clearly means a lot to a lot of you.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who is threatening anyone?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A cautionary moral tale, I assume you mean. Unless we know how much money he was making at ESPN vs. what he does now. I assume your definition of shitposting might have included anything he could have done at ESPN or anywhere.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Morally, practically, artistically, politically.

Jason Whitlock has been finding ways to squander his gifts and undermine himself for years.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love how every 2-3 pages someone different thinks this is a fresh, clever point to make.

MileHigh, Regan MacNeil and Patchen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted