1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Royal Mail started offering financial services years ago. I think the idea is that small-town post offices would be where it matters most. There are more than 34,000 post offices and fewer than 5,000 Walmarts.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

... but you can't pick up a sixer, a Slim Jim and a pack of smokes at the post office.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So we should leverage 35000 buildings that already cost us a fortune. … to make them cost us all even more. Why not turn them all into grocery stores too that all sell food for less than the procurement costs of the food?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor stickup.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From 1911 to 1967, the U.S. Postal Services offered banking services under the United States Postal Savings System. The reason that seems bizarre to you is because you weren’t alive when it existed.

The FDIC estimates that 80 million Americans are unbanked or underbanked. In 1985, there were 18,033 banks insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. across the nation; by 2018, there were just 5,477. Lot of consolidation happening there, not nearly as much competition as there was a few decades ago, and a lot of local branches eliminated for reasons that are at best dubious. It’s eliminated a lot of face-to-face interactions between banks and customers; this Barron’s op-ed author argues that the decline in community banks has hurt entrepreneurship (for all the talk of the American start-up economy, the actual number of start-up businesses is far below what it was three decades ago).

If it puts some form of banking services back in places that big banks have decided they don’t want to go, it probably isn’t a bad thing. Maybe it’ll force the big banks to expand their footprints rather than shrink them.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The U.S. Postal Savings System drifted into oblivion because it was anachronism. They put a guarantee on your deposits (the FDIC didn't exist yet), so given a choice between a private bank that gave you no guarantee and something that was backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, there was a receptive customer for it. It was VERY limited. The money it attracted was what people would later "invest" in savings bonds for 2 or 3 percent inetrest. I believe there was a limit of $250 or $500 on an account -- or something relatively small. So people would take $250 (or whatever it was), open an account and collect interest that was backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. ... precisely what the treasury market that has grown since those days gives people today. The reason they did away with the savings system was that with establishment the FDIC, there was no natural advantage of safety for depositing money in a Savings System account, so those postal savings accounts lost popularity and weren't being used by people. You were way better off going to your corner bank where you could deposit way more money, collecting way more interest and get a full slate of banking services that the Postal Service didn't offer.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like that you presented data, because I might just be blinded by personal experience. Both in Rhode Island and Texas, it seemed like the *only* things being built were community banks, as well as CVS'es and Rite Aids, and breweries. I think SNL even had a skit about it at one point. However, I don't think putting banks at post offices means that those 80M people are going to open checking accounts. I kind of assume those 80M don't have bank accounts because they don't want them, or, because they're unaware of the benefits. Neither problem is solved by putting banks at post offices. It just forces USPS to offer another service that may or may not make sense for a given area.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Try online banking or even try to find an ATM when you live in BFE — real, Montana-style, no-cell-service BFE. It's probably not necessary in most parts of urban areas except the poor ones.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wait, wasn’t this going to force everybody back to work?

garrow likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It was always bull

garrow likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shit, put those shiftless 8-year-olds back into the mines where they belong.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted