1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

what if the john birch newsletter offered an equity position

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

azrael-

It's like the kid throwing food at the wall, just wants attention. Birch is pretty light beer compared to what's being sold now. I believe Whitlock would write for Stormfront if he was certain it would get people's undies in a twist -and- grant him attention.

But dropping my own troll mask for a moment- is there a possibility Jason is lonely? Like really desperately clinically lonely/depressed? WHy else would a proud person set themselves on fire every week like this?

Azrael likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is what worries me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I'll never reach the highs Jason had and, hopefully, never have as steady and public a decline. The piety of religion, the grandeur of my superior thinking, seeking a platform to rail against others and elevate my perch relative to theirs - I'd be doing it all to keep from turning that regret inward.

2muchcoffeeman and Azrael like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think that's apt.

He's always been as troubled as he is talented. But at this point, he should engage professional counseling.

If he needs help doing so, he's welcome to contact me here. Just DM me.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock matters so little that there's a 32-page thread following everything he does that bothers people here because, again, he doesn't matter to them.

If you don't like Whitlock and his content, that's fine. Don't read it. Don't engage with it. Don't amplify it. If you do enjoy reading Whitlock, that's cool, too.

There's no need to take anonymous potshots at someone every time we disagree with them. Especially, again, if that person doesn't matter to you.

sporty and Liut like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't read much Whitlock, but I addressed this many pages ago.

The issue isn't really that he doesn't matter. It's that - and to be fair, this was the original point of the thread when it was started - he no longer has the right opinions, and hence doesn't matter because he has wrongthink according to the board. "Matter," in this case, meant "having opinions that the thread starter/this board would agree are good."

Liut and Azrael like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know. There's certainly plenty of room for a clear, well-written, well-reported conservative take on sports and sports culture. It is, after all, what got him on 'Oprah.' That was 2007.

So the Fox/WSJ/NYPost rotation should have been a perfect platform for his work. But it wasn't.

And too conservative for the Murdochs is pretty conservative.

Then the debacle with Outkick.

Now he's at the Blaze writing about Satan.

The problem is not his politics.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Liut likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As it relates to this thread, it has been, IMO. But maybe I need to read more of his work to be concerned about it.

I have no idea what a well-received conservative sports take would look like today. One can't even appreciate parts of the code in baseball without others practically fainting.

Liut likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I think it looks a little like what Gregg Doyel sells these days.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

‘Grats on waiting 4 pages. I was WAY off.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

As if we had a freaking vote on the name of the thread where everyone discusses Whitlock.

Thrilla_in_vanilla started this thread and forgot to consult on the title with the rest of us who may have the desire on the journalism page of a sports journalism message board to share thoughts about someone who is/was one of the most prominent sports journalists in the country.

So really, this is all Thrilla’s fault. I see why he abandoned the board a year ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted