1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same for Germany.

It'll be interesting to see how countries - and individuals - with bigger, better social safety nets than ours weather the economic blow from the pandemic.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My 2008 Civic has 319,000 miles and runs like new. As we always said at the Honda factory, just do the regular maintenance and you’re almost guaranteed 200k. A little luck and you can get 350k.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anyone buying NFTs are paying in Ethers.
    A vast majority of Internet 3.0 transactions are Ethereum based.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is a bit circular, in that you are telling me that there is a niche market out there in which people are trading binary data (a crypto) for binary data (an NFT) over a single network that both of those types of binary data are tied to.

The market for those digital assets may or may not be anything except a valueless fad when the smoke clears. It represents a tiny playworld right now, in which people may be transacting in nebulous things that may prove to be worthless at some point in the future.

Even if that doesn't turn out to be the case, the market for NFTs worldwide represents .0000000000001 percent of the total economy. Maybe I am not envisioning the future correctly, but I don't see how a closed ecosystem of people buying digital things that are tied to a network using a digital crytocurrency that is also tied to that network, necessarily represents anything beyond that closed ecosystem. If it ever translates to people buying their groceries or paying their rent with that binary data (and using that network) as a medium of exchange, maybe we can have that conversation. But if you think about it, it is a solution that doesn't really solve any problem. There are much easier ways to transact using existing technologies. It's also an imperfect solution for the reasons I was saying. In order for something to be a good medium of exchange, its value relative to other things can't swing as wildly as the values of the various crytocurrencies are.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Ragu here.

Crypto values are way, way, way too volatile to be considered currency.

If your employer started paying you in Crypto, your compensation would vary depending on silly things like "did I get paid this morning when the price was low, or this afternoon when the price was high?"

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, input I was seeking. It’s just the start of a ponzi and you don’t want to get caught holding the bag.

wicked likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something has happened to my wife where she is hyper-sensitive to any low bass noise/vibration --- especially the vibration. At first it was a neighbor with the windows down playing rap as he drove down the street, which I acknowledge could be annoying. But now it's ANY such thing. Stuff I don't even perceive (or barely perceive when she mentions it) can set her off.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a ponzi or pyramid.

It's one of two things: a boom or a bubble. Or it can be both.

If it is a boom, it means that we are at the dawn of a new era in which something transformative is happening. Booms often come with overinvestment, and things get ahead of themselves as a result, and then need to pull back and consolidate and let reality catch up with promise. And that might be happening. Think about the development of the Internet and ecommerce, for example, the dot.com bubble in the late 90s. Things got ridiculously overvalued, but it doesn't mean the technology was worthless. It was the exact opposite.

If it's a bubble, it's Tulipmania.

The reason I lean (but don't know) more toward bubble than boom is that I am very keyed in on what specifically has caused the bubble. And it isn't just limited to this. We are in a bit of an "everything bubble" right now with a lot of assets (ranging from things that actually have value but have just become overvalued to things that will be worthless) having run up in cost. And the reason has been real interest rates that are negative due to what central banks around the world have done over the last several decades, culminating with them going to even bigger extremes to keep rates negative (and debt growing) when the pandemic hit to hold off the credit crisis that is going to be the result of their reckelessness.

When you distort the debt markets the way they have, you push people into riskier and riskier behavior. ... and at the extreme, you get a lot of companies that don't earn anything and assets that are very pet-rock-like that develop speculative manias around them. It's the same kind of behavior they stoked that led to the housing crisis in the mid to late 2000s by creating distortions. Except rather than letting the defaults happen, they kicked the can down the road by creating exponentially more and more debt since then to prop everything up. That debt = leverage. Which gets people drunk. Money needs to cost something for people to value it properly. When you distort that cost and make it cheaper than free, people treat it like it is free (for example, people's home values have run up in value, and there is evidence that more and more people are pulling equity out in the form of loans. ... and using that money to speculate). And that is what I think has been going on with NFTs and cryptocurrencies (and more tangible things like exotic sports cars and rare art). But whether cryptocurrencies and NFTs actually have some utility (and therefore value) when the speculative fervor ends is the question I don't feel as confident guessing about.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've always had Hondas and yup, just keep up the maintenance and they run great. My 2011 CRV had 245,000 on it. Still running great, but I wanted an upgrade so I got a new CRV about four months ago. Great cars.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

El Salvador has legislated that crypto will be legal tender in the country. I have a friend who is the vice-president of risk management for a large El Salvadorian bank. So this person must figure out how to evaluate the risk of crypto denominated loans.

Glad I don't have that job.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was in Bolivia in 2006. Bolivia at that time was the poorest country in South America. The taxis were being imported from Japan as used vehicles. Japan drives of the left side of the road while Bolivia, and the rest of Latin America, drive on the right. So shops had sprung up in La Paz to move the steering wheels from the right to the left side on the imported vehicles.

I asked why the Bolivians did not just import used American cars. I as told that the locals considered used American cars as pieces of crap and preferred Japanese, even of they were more expensive.

That's when I knew that American automakers did not have bright futures.

I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to argue economics with you and you know I do respect your knowledge and insight. But NFTs definitely have utility now and in the future...for instance, it's widely believed the NY Yankees are going to roll out NFT tickets next season, which will allow them to collect royalties on tickets sold in second-hand markets like Stub-Hub. Once that happens, TicketMaster and the like will be soon to follow.

Just last week I met with a guy who owns a patent on NFT conversions of car titles, and his plan is to turn them into a sort of fraudless CarFax. And of course, the exploding world of online gaming is awash with NFTs allowing players to purchase clothing and weapons and just this month a new platform launched that allows gamers holding NFTs on certain types of weapons and armor to move them from one game to an entirely different game.

Crypto today is where the Internet was in 1996. Only it won't take a decade (and the invention of the iPhone, Twitter and FB) to speed its acceptance. Internet 3.0 is real and it's here.

Draft saved Draft deleted