1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sam Huff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskgrunt50, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Along with Joe Schmidt, one of the men who defined middle linebacker in the 50s

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I rarely pay attention to the NFL, but the Raleigh radio station for which I worked carried the Redskins network. Sam Huff and Sonny Jurgensen became a must-listen, if only for the banter between them.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There’s the great story of when Huff and punter Don Chandler were rookies in training camp, and thought that the pros were too tough and decided to quit. They went to the airport and were waiting for their flight when Lombardi charged in and told them that they may not make the team, but they weren’t going to quit on him and ordered them to get in his car. They did.

Also was the subject of a great early documentary of his career. RIP

garrow and misterbc like this.
  5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I read Huff's Wikipedia entry, and it said the Giants had trouble finding a position for Huff on defense. It also brings up that story about Lombardi catching up to Huff in the airport and getting back to camp, and then how defensive coordinator Tom Landry created the 4-3 defense to make the best use of Huff.

Of course, reading that had me realizing that, holy crap, there was once a coaching staff that had Lombardi and Landry as assistants.

maumann, HanSenSE and misterbc like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, and Lombardi was going to be the heir apparent to replace Jim Lee Howell, but the Packers called. Supposedly, he and Wellington Mara agreed he would come back but after a couple of years, Halas convinced both of them to let Lombardi stay in Green Bay because he essentially saved the franchise.

And Landry was the heir apparent in ‘59, but Howell decided to coach another year and Landry went to Dallas instead.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I love all things mid 50s to mid 60s NFL and have read a number of books of the era. Halfway through “When Lions were Kings” about the 1950-59 Detroit Lions dynasty. Seems odd to type that. Entertaining book.
    Jim Brown has been quoted as saying Schmidt and Huff were very hard hitters. The Giants D of that time had all-pros in almost every position Katcavage, Grier, Robustelli, Barnes, Huff etc…all either HOF or HOVG.
    I remember reading a piece that intimated that Huff consciously piled on at the end of the play so the stadium announcer could say that he was in on the tackle. Seemed like a cheap shot to me and nothing else I’ve ever read has supported that.
    RIP to one of the most recognizable players of a great era.

maumann and garrow like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've read that Huff, as great as he was, also was overrated because he played in New York.

It was an era of monster middle linebackers. The point was that Huff didn't stand head and shoulders above the others.

He was before my time, though, so I never saw him play.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

May Sam Huff tackle "that Cleveland cat" - otherwise known as Jim Brown - in the afterlife. Of course, Brown is still with us.

RIP, hard-tackling sir.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Chuck Bednarik of the Eagles is the first guy who comes to mind when thinking about devastating tacklers. And many of those were just with his shoulders.

misterbc likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just ask Frank Gifford (RIP).

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted