1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The 395 is a very underrated drive. Two-lane hell through Adelanto through Kramer Junction. Lots of High Desert. Passing through some small towns (Independence, Lone Pine, Big Pine), then Bishop, then climbing into the mountains past Mammoth. Mono Lake.

Spartan Squad and ChrisLong like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've been on every freeway hundreds of times in SoCal. There is nothing worse than the 91 through Corona and Santa Ana Canyon.

ChrisLong and TigerVols like this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I read it in 1992, and I never forgot it. Found it with some googling recently and was thrilled. It’s right in my wheelhouse and I’d like to revisit the original with pictures. Maybe I’ll see if I can find a copy on eBay.

Slacker likes this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

z4.jpg

My mom gave up driving about five years ago, but my stepdad held on to the 2003 BMW Z4 he bought for her in case she changed her mind or, like, her eyesight got better or something. They decided this summer it was time to clear out some space in his workshop, so I bought it.

It's just perfect for zipping around Carolina mountain roads. It's the 2.5-liter model, so it's not particularly fast, but it handles so well you never really have to slow down. And, because it was literally driven by a grandma for most of its existence, it has a lot of life left in it -- only 65,000 miles and taken care of fastidiously.

I also live less than five miles from the factory in which it was made, which is kind of cool -- I've had more than one person comment to me along the lines of, "Hey! We built that."

I've been a car guy for my entire life, but I've never had space for a completely impractical "toy car" until now. I'm definitely grateful to be keeping this one in the family.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drove U.S. 1 from Brunswick up the Maine coast to Acadia a few weeks back. Great little drive that hugs the coast and cuts through tiny little towns. Came back to Portland via 95, but was happy to have at least done the scenic route on the way up.

I've driven nearly the entire length of 95 ... the only stretch I haven't hit from Bangor/Orono north to Houlton where it ends at the New Brunswick border.

Fun thing we saw last week in Texas. Heading from the hotel in Frisco to Prestonwood for our tee time, and on one of the freeways, someone was driving a dang Delorean. Even had the Back to the Future console inside.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There was a gorgeous 1956 Thunderbird hardtop in robin's egg blue coming out of Helen on Sunday morning. I don't know if there was a car show nearby, but was thrilled to follow it for a couple of miles before I turned left to the church.

One thing that surprised me: How low the profile of that car was compared to almost everything on the road now. Its coefficient of drag must be pretty impressive, except for all the fins and chrome!

7. maumann

I've driven the entire lengths of I-4 (big deal), I-5, I-10, I-40, I-75 and I-85, but none of them in a single trip. I'm missing the stretch of I-95 through New York City, Connecticut and Rhode Island (but have everything north and south of it) and missing a stretch of I-80 from the Ohio Turnpike to around Pocono.

Prettiest underrated road out west: California Highway 49 through the Gold Country (although US 101 along the Oregon coast is damn fine, too).

Prettiest underrated road east: (tie) Natchez Trail and US 64 (stupid me) from Cleveland, Tenn., to the Outer Banks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    misterbc likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I did a Hwy 1 trip years ago, pre-kids. Rented a Mustang convertible in Vegas (when I still had hair for the wind to rush through), drove west to L.A., north to SF via 1 (with many stops), then east to Yosemite and back down through hundreds of miles of desolate Nevada to Vegas. Effing great trip.

The Imperial Palace in Vegas used to have a cool auto museum in the parking garage. Alas, both are long gone.

maumann likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Do you mean I-40? 64 does not go through Tennessee or North Carolina.

I have driven almost the entirety of I-40 save for the stretch between OKC and Little Rock. Managed to get a Dodge Neon to 115 mph somewhere between Needles and Barstow. Just a desolate stretch of road.

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

Doh. I meant US 64. Let me fix that.

Cosmo likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Highway 89 between Mt. Shasta and Truckee, Calif. - makes you feel like you are in the middle of a car commercial and an Ansel Adams foto at the same time. Amazing drive. Gentle curves, interesting small towns, Lassen Volcanic Park. Highway 395 south of Reno to Mojave is pretty good as well.

maumann likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been driving in the Portland area a lot recently - when did it become a thing for people to start using merge lanes as passing lanes? Insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted