1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll never forget visiting Japan in 1988 and 1989. Some worker could be doing the most menial task, yet you could see it was being done with care and pride toward doing it right. The work ethic was visually obvious. Maybe not coincidentally I bought my first Japanese car in 1988.

Hermes likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's a new scam in my town, checks removed from letters at the post office, the payee digitally changed and e-deposited in the thieves' Bank. A local bank manager has been removed and P.O. employees are being investigated.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not at all a FoMoCo sort. My previous purchase puts me at five different Japanese makes over the years. Granted, I don’t do the “trade them in every 18-24 months” These vehicles are bolted together pretty well, and with even half-decent maintenance, they’re not falling apart too quickly. The current one is known to hold value exceedingly well and have a mechanical iron horse reputation, though the ergo could be a little better.

But it IS a lot of fun.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If you have never visited Japan do it. The cleanliness. the friendliness of the people and the utter lack of crime make it feel like you are on another planet. There are simple thing s that I found amazing. The Japanese love to buy things from vending machines. So there are unattended vending machines everywhere, in dark backstreets. Spotless unattended public bathrooms.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When we asked how to get somewhere we knew to be within walking distance --- say, the nearest metro station --- the passerby would take us by the arm and walk us there.

And the people are, er, more like my size. Loved it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

49-1_front_1.jpg 10490fb5f812fc2b7a724fdeb2bb9527.jpg 10-4032w.jpg 1-95-051_800.jpg 1-95-338_680.jpg JPR-200095_Main_01.jpg

- Hasui, Twenty Views of Tokyo

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We built engines at Honda and I would’ve eaten off the floor. Spotless.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

More bad news for Biden

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Jan Hatzius is right. ... the unemployment rate is an incredibly meaningless number at this point because of the continual changes they have made to exclude people who would bring the numbers up. When the labor force particpation rate shows close to 40 percent of American adults not employed, does anyone who doesn't just glance at the headline numbers and not think about it, actually think an unemployment rate of 3.5 percent will be an honest measure of any sort?

A record 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in September. If the trends keep up this way, we will have the BLS telling us that the unemployment rate is negative within 2 years.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When they say X people quit their jobs in a given month, do they factor out Baby Boomers who are retiring? Is there a form employers send where they check one box for quit and a different for retirement?

dixiehack likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, they don't, and IMO the statisticians, the economists and all the rest of us are not allowing for the numbers of persons who took or are taking early retirement due to the pandemic. If you were 60 or over (large slice of the work force) and were separated from your job or were a remote only worker for the last 20 months, the incentives to say, "why fucking go back to this job if I can possibly do otherwise" were strong.

Neutral Corner and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. It can all be people who retired when the pandemic hit and people who are quitting their jobs to go somewhere else where they can earn more. There is a lot of that happening, too, because workers have more leverage right now than they have had in forever with the tightness in the labor market, and wages are rising as a result (this is the flip side of the "inflation" that is getting reported -- chicken or egg or both).

The general trend, though -- if you look beyond one offs -- has been labor force participation being incredibly weak. And it's not a new thing, even though it is getting more pronounced over time. If you believe the BLS number, the unemployment rate (U3) is 4.6 percent. If you go with something like John Williams at ShadowStats, it is more like 25 percent (down from 35 percent or so at its worst during the pandemic).

Draft saved Draft deleted