1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

BTW, you can drive a truck between a 4.6 percent unemployment rate and a 25 percent unemployment rate.

The point I am trying to get to is that Williams isn't just some knucklehead pulling numbers out of his ass. He largely is just using the exact methodologies the government used to use to calculate things like inflation, unemployment and GDP before they started changing their methodologies over and over again in more and more deceptive ways (a lot of this since the 1990s) because those numbers are politicized instruments. People should keep that in mind when the BLS is telling everyone that we are at near full employment. ... when the labor force participation rate is down near 60 percent and has been steadily dropping for decades.

The reality is that there are tens of millions of people collecting more in government transfer payments than they would earn in a lower-wage job, so they have dropped out of the workforce, pretty much permanently. And they simply don't get counted with the way they calculate that number. So yeah, in that paradigm, we are at full employment. But as we continue down the path we have put ourselves on, the labor force participation rate continues to drop, the unemployment numbers paint a false picture of a vibrant economy that more than half the population doesn't see. ... and it is getting more and more farcical, which is why I said at this pace, they will have to tell us soon that the unemployment rate is negative.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As life expectancy grows, and the birth rate shrinks --- and people who started saving while young realize they don't need to work until 67 1/2 to enjoy a comfortable retirement --- the labor force participation rate declines. Well, duh.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

That just isn't reality if you look at the aggregate information available. In the aggregate, people are working much longer in the than they did a generation ago. ... in part because they are living longer so the work age has extended, but also in large part because for every person who is looking at a comfortable retirement at 67 today there are a lot more who don't have enough in savings.

4. The Big Ragu

BTW, it's pretty funny you posted that because the one place that the labor force participation has been growing over time has been for older Americans. It's why it was noticeable during the pandemic when there were a lot of people deciding to retire, as that trend reversed itself for the first time in a very long time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    SFIND likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know more than one person in my age bracket or even older on Cape Cod who's got enough money for a most comfortable retirement but who has a part-time job, often a menial one, because they like to work. The starters at my golf course all fit that description. The wife of one of my playing partners (she often makes up a foursome with us, good ballstriker, not so good putter) works one day a week as the bookkeeper for a local book store.

7. BTExpress

I definitely have my retirement clock set for April 1, 2023 (unless this job suddenly becomes more enjoyable, which I doubt).

But I'm thinking I'll need to ease into it by doing something part-time, as the sudden shock of "nobody needs me" might be too harsh all at once.

wicked likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Then you’ve got plenty of time to learn up on Google Tag Manager or a similar skill.

9. BTExpress

This reminds me of when I tried to understand what Blockchain was. Might as well have been in Mandarin.

I'm a dinosaur.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dinosaurs lasted nearly 200 million years.

You'll be OK.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shit, who wants to spend 200 million years being not needed?

OscarMadison and Justin_Rice like this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My dream in-retirement job is to work in a hardware store. Not just any hardware store, either, but an old-timey one in which they have stuff like seed and nails that they sell by the pound. Alas, such are as scarce as dinosaurs these days.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted