1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of driving just for the sake of driving. I don't like to be cooped up. I drive to get where I'm going.
    If I can avoid interstates without any appreciable time difference, I much prefer two-lane or divided highways. There is much less traffic, which means fewer chances for delays.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Alas, I am not the driver I used to be, strange roads bother me and my night vision is not great these days

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I was 18, a friend and I made the Tahoe/Reno to Vegas run. 9 or so hours of nothing.

I heard that when they dismantled the Imperial Palace, they discovered the carpet was original. haha

Let us not forget the Hana Highway. I've driven it many times, including once in a Geo Metro that did not have power steering. Going all the way around shows you the essence of Hawaii, lush rain forest evolving into barren volcanic wasteland that looks like it might be the moon.

maumann likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Having been raised in NorCal in the 70's/80's, driving has always been a means to the ends. 16th birthday, first in line to get drivers license. Driving an hour is no big deal, so long as I've got tunes no problem (unlike my wife from East Coast who thinks anything over 15 mins is a trip to hell.)

I have always driven to work, at least 25 mins each way, and I enjoy it, good wind down time before getting home or before getting to ramp up for work.

Got my "toy" car two years ago, an 07 Miata with power hardtop and the third pedal (manual). I love driving it with the top down, the exact opposite of being coop'd up in a car. Its a blast driving over the SF Bay Bridge (and Golden Gate) with the top down and some good 70s/80's rock going through the speakers.

Now I'm looking for a luxury sedan for my wife (and my rain car.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the best ride in CA, its got to be CA 1 South from NorCal to LA (going South your in the lane closest to the ocean). Now once you get to LA, LA is the worst, I mean you've got 24hr!! carpool lanes, what better indicator of traffic is there?

maumann, misterbc and MileHigh like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Alas, about a month too late.

247144259_10216805832453020_2708567788041966430_n.jpg

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My favorite drives, in no particular order:

Pacific Coast Highway: I was working on a project in Ventura in the mid-2000s. The rental car company was out of whatever mid-size I had reserved. "You want a Chrysler Sebring convertible?" they asked, to which I responded, yeah, whatever. I was preparing to drive back to LAX via the freeway when one of the customer's people asked me what time my flight departed. I had a few extra hours to kill, and he said, "Take Highway 1 instead of the freeway. Thank me later." I headed south, through Oxnard, and was remarkably unimpressed, to the point of thinking, "Did I take the wrong road?" I persisted south. Just past Point Mugu and ... it was like a curtain opened. The mountains on the left, the ocean on the right, just the most incredible thing this Midwestern boy had ever seen. I would have gladly paid a $50 toll to drive that road. Those of you who live in California are probably over it by now, but I'd make a special trip just to make that drive again.

U.S. 2 from Wenatchee to Everett, Washington: I did this drive a couple of days after a light snow dusted central Washington. It's not too twisty, but it's entertaining enough, and the scenery is worth driving a little slower.

Interstate 84 from Pendleton to Portland, Oregon: Simply the most beautiful stretch of Interstate in the country. The Columbia River runs alongside the road for a good portion of the trip, and the stretch through the Columbia River Gorge is sensational.

U.S. 160 from Forsyth to West Plains, Missouri: Safely removed from the schlock of Branson, this road provides both scenery and a challenging drive. It twists through the Mark Twain National Forest through a sparsely populated (and sparsely enforced) part of the state. I've taken this road in cars and on motorcycles. If motorcycling is your thing, this road is particularly fun and relatively safe from traffic.

State Road A1A from Daytona Beach to St. Augustine, Florida: Beautiful coastal ride. You'll be stuck in some traffic around Flagler Beach, but you won't mind, as the beach is right outside your passenger-side window. One of the few really pleasant drives in Florida.

U.S. 64 from Franklin to Rosman, North Carolina: Much of this stretch runs along the Cullasaja River, with lots of waterfalls along the way. It's my favorite among several great options for driving roads in western North Carolina/upstate South Carolina. The Blue Ridge Parkway is nice, but I love nothing more when driving to be driving alongside a river or a stream, and this road fills that role beautifully.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I break trips into chunks to make them bearable. Instead of a one six-hour drive, I have a half dozen one-hour drives. This point to that point, that point to the next, etc.
    In many cases, I have it down to specific points on how long it should take me to get where I'm going.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

!

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thought you'd enjoy that ...

Azrael likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another fantastic drive in the summer - the Yellowhead Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert in British Columbia.

misterbc likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I will say this about every drive mentioned so far . . .

1000x better on one of these:

140A8756.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Early Sunday morning drives on PCH from Long Beach down thru Huntington Beach and beyond is heavenly.

Roll the windows down and feel the cool air and smell the dank sea and listen to the music and enjoy the vibes.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted