1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My favorite drives are on gravel roads in the Ozarks with no particular place to go and all day to do it. Second gear all the way.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In 1989 I bought my first new car, a ‘89 Mustang GT t spd with the whale tail, 0-70 in 2nd gear, fun times. (Cars were much lighter then)

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When my ‘98 Cobra was newer, I could hit 70 in second gear, too. Didn’t even redline.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tell the Farmer’s Market I said hi. I miss that place, especially the huge pralines at the candy stand.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man my buddy just drove me in his Cobra, love that rumble. I drove it for a bit, 65 in 3rd, cruising. Fun.

swingline likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm going to take possession later this week or early next week of a pretty new Audi sport sedan. Given that the newest car I've been driving has been an '07, the "new" car will be like from another planet, all the newest bells and whistles are amazing, self-parking, front, rear and side cameras, basically self-driving cruise control at any speed, even with stop and go traffic.

Have a chance to do electric, but my kids tell me that electric means you can pat yourself on the back but 95% of the carbon foot print was already made during the creation of the car and not much different (maybe even more with the batteries) than an internal combustible engine. Plus, as an old guy I love the sound of the engine (had a hybrid and quiet is okay but not enjoyable).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice. I upgraded from an '11 CRV to a '21 CRV and yeah, the bells and whistles are amazing.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My dad bought a new Audi several months ago. I drive it (and him) when we go do something.

Nice little ride but not in the same universe as a Beamer. Then again, nothing is.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I get it; I'm not looking for pure performance, but a combo of performance and luxury since I can't zoom to 90 all day every day :)

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Went from an '08 Altima to a '19 CRV right before the pandemic hit. It's great. I don't have all of the crazy bells and whistles, but the rear camera and bluetooth were enough for me, along with automatic all-wheel drive and some cool safety features. Finally took it on a long road trip last month and it drives like a dream. Not sure I could drive again without the rear camera.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how we existed so long without rearview cameras.

TigerVols and FileNotFound like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m not a fan. IMHO it leads people to be too dependent on them and forget to use their eyes and look around .

Draft saved Draft deleted