1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

BTE-

Rhapsodizing about Tennessee Volunteer football seems akin to the critical review of the Journey corpus that went on here 11/7/20. We all love something that is way gone.

-"Did it suck?"
    -"No it did not suck."
    -"It felt great at the time."

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Biden’s presidency seems to be following Harry Truman’s in terms of popularity. Here’s to hoping his 1947 is coming soon.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From the song:
    "My mind is clearer now
    At last, all too well
    I can see where we all soon will be

If you strip away
    The myth from the man

You will see where we all soon will be."

And not to threadjack, but every once in a while I'll fire up the "Jesus Christ Superstar" soundtrack on YouTube and it really takes me back. My mom had that on vinyl (the soundtrack actually came out before the stage show and movie), and elementary-school-aged me used to rock out to it in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

maumann likes this.
  6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

If you listen to "Heaven on their Minds" through a 1/6 lens, it's quite ... something.

I love JCS. A few years ago there was a bar performance of it in this area. Called a JCS Pageant and Sing-a-Long. I got to perform King Herod's Song. ... And your vinyl reference reminded me of the debate among the group of what they preferred, the pre-show soundtrack or the movie soundtrack.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Same for me, a little bit later. That's how I knew who Murray Head was.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Mike Flynn might know a little too much for some folks’ comfort. (Not talking about Americans necessarily either.)

Same for Lin Wood and his grenade tossing of the past couple days.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"So you are the Christ, yes, the great Jesus Christ. Prove to me that you're no fool, walk across my swimming pool ..."

The original album is still the gold standard. My parents took my brother and me to see the live stage production in San Francisco around 1975 and it was very good, but I still remember with fondness a local church youth group lip-synching to the album soon after it came out and their performances -- along with the church setting -- were so profoundly moving. They made a vinyl record performance seem to be a living and breathing story.

It's like reading a book and picturing the characters in a certain way, then being almost disappointed when the movie doesn't reach your expectations. The 1970s movie and the recent TV remake just don't capture the same emotional tension as the original JSC.

As I've gotten older, "Pilate's Dream" becomes more haunting to me. Just an amazing song and vocal performance.

And I really don't like anything else Andrew Lloyd Webber has done since.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    OscarMadison and Kato like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I find it impossible to believe that Zero Mostel's Herod could be improved upon.

OscarMadison and Kato like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted