1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We Massholes stick with Polar seltzers. My daughter visited from France in August and took nine cans of cranberry lime Polar back in her carryon bag.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There's a store down here that sells Moxie and other exotic drinks for about $2.50 a bottle. Moxie is OK, but I remain a Cheerwine P1.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My sister bought like 10 2-liter bottles of Dr Pepper Zero in advance of Turkey Day. It tasted just like the original. I was impressed.

Unfortunately I have degenerated into mainlining sugar-free Bang. Soft drinks are cute these days.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just thought I'd throw this up here. ... There is actually one kind of smart place to put money you don't want to risk right now, and it is getting very little play. It might interest some of you.

With the Fed having screwed savers over the last decade +, by robbing them of their risk-free savings returns. ... and inflation now taking off, making cash = trash. ... you might want to look at I Bonds. They are U.S. Savings Bonds that are indexed to the CPI, which is how they measure inflation. It's risk free, backed by the U.S. government. ... and they are paying 7.12 percent interest (not a typo) until May 1 (they reset the rate every 6 months) because the CPI has spiked. Contrast it to a bank CD right now, which is paying less than 1 percent.

The negatives: You can only invest $10K per social security number. Also, you can't touch the money for a year. And you forfeit the last 3 months of interest if you withdraw within the first 5 years. But that three months of interest will be more than made up by the relatively high interest rate.

Compare 7.12 percent to the average money market fund right now which is paying .06 percent interest and it's striking.

I think one reason this isn't getting a ton of attention is that you need to go to treasurydirect.com yourself to set up an account and you pay no commissions. A lot of investment advisors won't be recommending it to people, even though it is smarter than the money market funds or CDs they are putting clients' money in, because they earn nothing on it.

Hermes, TigerVols and maumann like this.
  5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Polar seltzer is the only carbonated drink in the house. I can count the number of times my kids have had soda on two hands.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tournament season is the only time I get into the diet soda anymore, because it's too damn hot at 2 p.m. outside in the summer to drink coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. Going to check it out this morning.

8. The Big Ragu

Just realized I typed treasurydirect.com. Should have been treasurydirect.gov. ...

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And you can purchase up to $10K per calendar year, which means I can buy another $10K on Jan. 1, if I wish.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Diet cherry chocolate Dr. Pepper is (was?) the greatest diet soda. I miss also the Diet Coke flavors. Can't find them anymore.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You also have to be liquid. If we wanted to buy those we'd have to withdraw money from our 401k and we'd get tapped for that as income.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

Yup. Of course you need to actually have the money in hand in order in invest in something.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted