1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are you trying to make my argument for me, or attempting to say it's the Democratic riff-raff's fault?

Last fall, Hannah Dasgupta spent her days focused on politics, channeling her fear and anger over President Donald J. Trump into activism. Worried about the future of abortion rights, among other issues, during the Trump administration, she joined a group of suburban Ohio women who were working to elect Democrats.

A year later, Ms. Dasgupta, 37, still cares just as deeply about those issues. But she did not attend a nationwide women’s march for abortion rights on Saturday. In fact, she hadn’t even heard about it.

“I don’t watch the news every single night anymore — I’m just not nearly as concerned,” said Ms. Dasgupta, a personal trainer and school aide, who was devoting her attention to local issues like her school board. “When Biden finally got sworn in, I was like, ‘I’m out for a little while.’”

Ms. Dasgupta’s inattention underscores one of the biggest challenges facing the Democratic Party as it turns toward the midterm elections. At a moment when abortion rights face their most significant challenge in nearly half a century, a portion of the Democratic grass roots wants to take, in Ms. Dasgupta’s words, “a long breather.”

Those who did not attend cited varied reasons: the coronavirus pandemic; a sense of political fatigue after a divisive election; other issues that seemed more pressing than abortion, such as racial justice or transgender rights.

“There would have been a time when a march like this would have been a three-generational event,” said Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster who advises the White House and the Democratic Party. “Now, the 8-year-old girl isn’t vaccinated, and you’re scared that Mom could get sick. People are just exhausted, and they’re deliberately checking out.”

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's funny is the idea that Roe has been under assault for 50 years by the American right, and your take on it is to blame the American left.

Fred siegle, lakefront, Dyno and 5 others like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This better be a wakeup call to Bryer to retire ASAP. RGB already cost us a seat by not quitting when she should have.

OscarMadison, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's always the Dems fault in Almaworld.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, how do you think we arrived at this day? Because of the mean right stayed the mean right? It was plenty mean in 1993, too.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

In large part because McConnell denied Obama a SC justice. Also because RGB stayed too long. And because the right found money by cozying up to the religious right. Most Americans support Roe. The people who give big money to the GOP don't

But don't fucking blame women like me who have been marching for decades to preserve our rights. Just don't.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So SCOTUS can make the ruling, fine.

Time for the rest of us to pull out the wallets and give to Planned Parenthood as it helps women access services and sends them wherever they may need to go. Have to go from Louisiana to Virginia? Fine, here's a plane ticket. There is a not-very-easy, admittedly, way to counteract this.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stop hitting yourself, the Left!

garrow and Woody Long like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gaslighting, manipulative Alma is still not my favorite Alma.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Because the Dems were stupid enough to think that once a Supreme Court precedent had stood for fifty years it was the law of the land, and that the Supremes wouldn't arbitrarily discard it because of the partisan politics that the Supreme court justices are supposed to be above?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So he can safely be replaced by a Democratic president, instead of our being told "You should have done it while you had a majority, you idiots. Did you learn nothing last time? We're going to hold the seat open and hope for a Republican president and you can't do a damn thing about it. Neener, neener!"

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted