1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This country was founded when property rights included people as property. "Property" is a large part of creating a decent civil society, but not the only part, and politics and the law have always reflected that. Is America today better off in terms of decency as well as material progress as a society? The answer's pretty obvious to me.

PS: BT, obviously I respect Ragu's arguments. If I didn't I wouldn't bother to respond to them.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And don't tell us March of an election year is too soon to confirm someone to SCOTUS but late September in an election year is just fine and dandy.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exactly.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We can't confirm a justice in an election year unless it's a month before the election.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And it's our guy getting confirmed.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course slavery wasn't something that a few Supreme Court justices did away with out of hand. And in fact, when the court tried to put its imprimatur on slavery, it didn't go very well.

Ending slavery was something the country had to do for itself. It included a war. ... and the people (via the legislative process) amending the Constitution. Which is how a nation ruled by law does it.

When you advocate for short cuts -- wanting the highest court to circumvent the legislative process based on what is politically expedient for you today. ... something that has now taken on a life of its own now -- as I said, you end up with a giant mess. And once you go down that path, as we are finding out, it renders the Constitution meaningless, because now there is no check on 9 unelected people basically ascribing whatever they want to the Constitution (the rights it actually protects be damned) and creating law themselves (only for it to be undone when you get new justices). This is not the kind of judiciary anyone imagined. It's also a threat to the country now.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The arguments have been heard. The debate is futile. You can 'debate' a block of cheese- Fart won't.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think we may be talking past each other here. My main point is that the ebb and flow of American politics has always included the Court (I am old enough to remember Impeach Earl Warren billboards) and has also directly impacted the Court on occasion. If the current Court becomes unpopular enough, it can expect some direct impacts.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Their "platform" is, "whatever the god emperor wants."

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Amy Coney Barrett was only rushed through because everyone knew Trump was going to get stomped in the election, which makes it all the more egregious.

Mngwa and Driftwood like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Amy Coney Barrett was rushed through because Team Fatfuck was planning to precipitate a cataclysmic constitutional crisis some time between Election Day and Inauguration Day (some day like Jan. 6) and they wanted a Supreme Court packed with their pet poodles.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted